Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pokémon-Style Message System

poccil

Sponsor

Pokemon-Style Message System
By Peter O., July 1, 2008

This is the message system that I use for my Pokemon Essentials kit.  I have decided
to make it available as a separate script.  This script enables a different style of message system
for games.  It is compatible with RPG Maker XP and VX.  It also comes with scripts that adapt the
message system to several popular message systems.

Download

pkmnmsgsystem.zip - July 10, 2008

Installation

Unzip the files to an empty folder.  Insert the scripts BitmapCache, DrawText, SpriteWindow,
PokemonMessages, and MessageSupport, in that order, in the script editor, before the last script
found there (normally called "Main").  Copy the Fonts and Graphics folders onto the game project's
folder.  If using RPG Maker XP, you should install the fonts to the Windows Fonts folder in Control
Panel (not necessary, but helpful). 

Message System Adapters

The Pokemon-Style Message System comes with scripts that adapt the Pokemon style message
system to other popular message systems.  Each script allows the use of many, but not all, of the commands available in the respective system.  You can put one of those scripts after the MessageSupport  script in the script editor.  Installing an adapter is optional.

The following adapters are included:

* AMSLayer - Advance Message Script
* UMSLayer - Universal Message System
* UCodersLayer - UCoders message system
* SMSLayer - Scrolling Message System
* NMSLayer - Neo Message System

Message Syntax

The Pokemon style message system uses the following syntax:

\G - Displays a window showing the player's current money.
  \n[n] - Displays the name of actor number n.
  \v[n] - Displays the value of variable number n.
  \f 

I'm looking forward to more VX-compatible Pokemon scripts! The tileset thing and overall sprite blockiness just kind of work with that kind of game. Thanks!

poccil

Sponsor

I've just updated the message system today and added two more message system adapters: SMSLayer for the Scrolling Message System, and NMSLayer for the Neo Message System.

Very nice, I love it! One problem, though. I would like to disable text shadows. How would I go about doing that?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out >_<

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.