Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Playing videos?

Seda

Lately I've been playing around some great movie/video making software, and got to thinking, "Isn't there a way to play videos in RMXP?" With that in mind, I started thinking of some great little "Cinematic scenes" I could make. Upon inspection of the program, I was wrong.

Now here is my question: Are there any scripts out there that allow the playing of video? (any file type other than .FLA (AKA: Flash)) If not, would it be possible for someone to make one for me?

In the script I am looking for the ability to play the video as the game is being booted up (sort of like what one would see with most games these days), and the ability to call up any of the videos from a folder at anytime.

There are a few scripts out there that allow you to do that - most if not all of them not very reliable, only supporting very common formats and yeah... generally, not too adviseable. However, there might always be some I don't know of, so... I guess have a look around.

The reason I replied is because I wanted to put your attention to RMXP's built-in movie player that's triggered by putting a common movie file such as AVI in the BGM folder, play it via event command or whatever and see it that way. A huge downside that makes this totally unattractive is that the movie player is an entirely new window... test it if you don't exactly know what I'm talking about. Another thing is that depending on which audio folder you put it in, different "blending" methods will be applied - some appear more, others less saturated; none of them really seeming useful but the default "non-blending" mode, of course.

In general: RMXP is not meant for playing movie files.

Seda

That is what I feared.. It does makes sense though about the video being not that great looking. Thanks for the reply though! I never knew about the built in video player!

There might be a way to do so by using WinAPI calls, however I'm not too experienced in that... from my little understanding of the matter, it'd be difficult to address a window that isn't the active one, and you have to address it from the RGSS Player, as that's your running application. I'm not saying it's impossible, though... maybe someone with a bit more experience on that matter can help you out here.

Another thing is that depending on which audio folder you put it in, different "blending" methods will be applied - some appear more, others less saturated; none of them really seeming useful but the default "non-blending" mode, of course.
Hey, did not know that, thanks BlueScope :)

The problem of the "built-in video player" is, that it works not for everyone.
I never found out on what that depends, but some PCs (my, for example :grin:) just don't open the player.

Oh, that's interesting... I've never heard of that problem before... :blank: My immediate gues would be 64bit incompatibilities, but a few other things also seem possible... mainly multicore setups or unrecignized (as in too up-to-date) video cards that'll result in the RGSS Player thinking that certain functions aren'T allowed to be displayed (several Photoshop installments had this problem - certain video cards needed some additional fiddling with to be recognized as OpenGL-compatible cards and therefore allow a few features... happen to me and my GT8800 back in the days).

As for the blending stuff... I found this out a long time ago, doing research for my resource knowedlge database (think that's what it's called). By a reply from someone else in that topic, I actually heard of the video playback function the first time ^^

I don't know if this will help you all, but i have find this script that let you put Flash video (swf) in rpg maker and it works good and let you play a video at any time whithout open another program or window.

Here is the demo(by Dahrkael)
http://ofarts.rpgmaker.es/scripts/Flashv0.3Mod.zip

And this is a free flash video converter
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Video-to-Flash-Converter.htm

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.