Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest

WARNING: May contain spoilers here and there without any notice.

Okay, so the movie started today in theaters and I went to go see it. Of course it had a lot to live up to with the first movie being a tremendous success and a truly great movie. The movie started off okay updating us on where the characters are now. Apparently Commandor Norrington is at Tortuga as a bum now and some new dude has taken his place with the title "Lord". He arrests Will and Elizabeth for helping Jack in the previous movie....at their freaking wedding which got rained out.... Anyways, this Lord whatever his name was makes a deal with Will that if he brings him Jack's compass so he can find Davie Jones' chest (which contains Davie Jones' heart) then he will release them pending Jack serves in the British Navy. Elizabeth is put in jail and Will sets off to find Jack. That's pretty much the intro of it all except with showing some stuff concerning Jack that I won't talk about. Anyways, the movie for the most part is pretty strong except for a few minor things that may bug you for not making total sense such as Jack falling a few hundred feet, hitting the ground on his back, and then getting up and running away :/. All-in-all the movie is actually pretty kool except for minor buggy things like Jack's fall, the fact that you have no clue why Davie Jones or his crew are humanoids of sea creatures, or why the first time they mention the beast they call it the Leviathan (the term can mean any gaint sea creature but they specifically say the Leviathan as in pertaining to the giant mythical sea dragon) and then after that they refer to it as the Kraken. Meh. Anyways, it pretty much just pulls a whole lot of plot from areas that were of no importance in the first movie and it's overall okay. There's another thing that bugged me that I remember with Will playing the dice game with Davie Jones, but you can tell the faults in that when you see it for yourself. After that eventually Norrington apparently steals something of value but the thing is that even though you know he knew where it was it shows you him pretty much the whole time and he had no time to steal the object.... Once again, meh. Within the last 20 minutes or so is when the movie became crappy to me. Jack has pretty much been being a two-timing ass the whole movie what with trying to condemn Will to the equivalent of damnation and whatnot as well as stopping Will from freeing his father just for his own purposes. But even at the end after they completely eff up the plot in so many ways within the last few minutes the crew ends up back at the fortune teller lady's place with some freaky-ass people standing in the water with candles as they come in. No clue who the people are, why they were standing in what looked like fucking Amazonian waters with all the snakes and crap, but nontheless. They go in there and are all quiet. Will's all pissy because his fiance came off a little as a whore (he doesn't know the whole story so he has a right to be totally pissed at this point), and so he's steaming to himself while Elizabeth, who from the way she is acting and all you figure she knows what he saw but doesn't say anything or comfort him or even sit remotely close to him or anything after he went through all of this crap just to free her jail and save her from being hanged, sits over there not doing anything. All of a sudden the fortune teller lady breaks in between them when Will finally says something and goes off on her little rant about Jack and then all of the crew say they'd do anything to get him back, then Elizabeth
WHAT THE FUCK?!?! JACK WAS GOING TO TRADE OVER WILL TO DAVIE JONES AND COULDN'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT EITHER OF THEM. SHE EVEN HAD TO SEDUCE HIM TO SHACKLE HIM TO THE BOAT SO THEY ALL COULD LIVE AND HIS SELFISHNESS COULDN'T COMPROMISE ALL OF THEIR LIVES. NOW SHE WANTS HIM BACK?!?! I'M STARTING TO THINK I WASN'T CRAZY WHEN I THOUGHT SHE WASN'T JUST SEDUCING HIM TO SHACKLE HIM. GAWD.
, and then Will (another humongous WTF?!?!, but I won't go on another rant with all the reasons; they should be blatantly obvious). And so fortune teller lady, who at this point is just annoying me from the way she acts, etc., tells them they'll need a captain to go to the edge of the world or something and then the captain who was killed at the end of the last movie by Jack (I'm so freaking mad of how big of a waste my time and money was at this point and how bad they messed up with the ending stuff that I can't even remember his name) comes down asking how his ship is doing.

Stuff I forgot when writing:

-How in the heck was the Pearl all the way on the beach (no water at all)? A ship that huge would have gotten beached before it reached the actual beach and certainly wouldn't be able to get all the way out of the water (it was well out of any logical range of tides as well so don't suggest that). On top of that, when they're retreating it is the same and somehow (while it's not showing the ship) the screw (who climbs onboard) gets it into the water.

-Dammit, why'd they have to leave the dog? He was awesome.

The film was completely boring. Just when you thought it was getting near the end, it wasn't. It dragged on and on. While admittedly it was humourous - the story didn't go anywhere.

All in all I was finally happy when it ended, as were most of the audience - who all rushed to the lavatories...

I think you might of overanalysed the movie and missed out on what it was supposed to be. Pretty, action packed, and funny, and generally charming. Not Mission Impossible 1.
PS Ima see it tonnight, luckily its so hot outside I'll forget all the spoilers I read by the time I get to the theater later tonight(or possibly tomorrow barring a huge crowd)

Rain

Sponsor

rexxz said:
The movie was awesome, completely worth my money.

Same here, One of the best films I've seen in a long time.

It's good to see a film that doesn't completely ruin the original within the sequel. Although....

the full on cliff hanger left when Jack Died and Barbosa coming back was annoying, but mainly because I have to wait till next summer to see what happens lol . :lol:

I'm glad that we got to see the Kraken in its entirety. I hate it when movies have some uber monster or something and you never even get to see all of it or the important parts or w/e.

1. Use spoilers where you actually should use spoilers.
2. Use FUCKING PARAGRAPHS.

After that eventually Norrington apparently steals something of value but the thing is that even though you know he knew where it was it shows you him pretty much the whole time and he had no time to steal the object....

Jack has pretty much been being a two-timing ass the whole movie what with trying to condemn Will to the equivalent of damnation and whatnot as well as stopping Will from freeing his father just for his own purposes.

Um...good. I was afraid that they would completely fuck up Jack's character for people like you, going in wanting to just watch a movie about Captain Sparrow. But they didn't, he's just as much of a selfish asshole as he is in the first one, which to me is a really good thing. He's not a good guy and never has been.

Did you go to the bathroom or something? They actually showed him shove it in his pocket.

the fact that you have no clue why Davie Jones or his crew are humanoids of sea creatures,

the explanation for this was shown, rather than told, through Bootstrap Bill's character. If you had paid more attention to the movie instead of messing with the cool flippy theater chairs, you would have noticed that throughout the movie, Bill became more and more...crustacean...y. It shows that the longer you spend time with Davy Jones and his crew, you become more and more as one with the ocean and the ship, until you become like the guy who became part of the ship itself.

then Elizabeth...(wtf), and then Will (another humongous WTF?!?!, but I won't go on another rant with all the reasons; they should be blatantly obvious)

Elizabeth regretted killing him, which was obvious, and for a rich girl brought up the way she was, all sheltered, you would agree that it's pretty traumatizing to do such a thing, and she wants to set things right- that's her motivation. And Will's motivation is even more fucking obvious. He wanted the Pearl back to fulfill his promise to his father, he doesn't give a shit about Jack as a person, but needed him to keep a promise that he said he would never break.

-How in the heck was the Pearl all the way on the beach (no water at all)? A ship that huge would have gotten beached before it reached the actual beach and certainly wouldn't be able to get all the way out of the water (it was well out of any logical range of tides as well so don't suggest that). On top of that, when they're retreating it is the same and somehow (while it's not showing the ship) the screw (who climbs onboard) gets it into the water.

There could have been a wave, it could be low tide now as opposed to high tide, but mostlyu I'd attribute it to the fact that Jack Sparrow is completely fucking insane and he ordered them to sail full speed onto the beach. Remember how fucking afraid he was? I also assume that by "screw", you mean crew. It wasn't the crew who got it back onto the water, it was Pintel and Ragetti, who took the entire time to do it while ack and the others were on Cannibal island.

tells them they'll need a captain to go to the edge of the world or something and then the captain who was killed at the end of the last movie by Jack (I'm so freaking mad of how big of a waste my time and money was at this point and how bad they messed up with the ending stuff that I can't even remember his name) comes down asking how his ship is doing.

Okay, this is where you really fucking need to use the goddamn spoiler tag. There are people who haven't seen the movie and this is the biggest spoiler you could give them.

I personally fucking loved the way they brought Barbosa back. Not only was it a kickass twist and actually pretty logical (since, after all, they're going to have to go to the land of the dead and back, which apparently Barbosa has done), but it helps tie in the first movie, making this feel less like a sequel and more like a part of a whole, which is good. Plus, Barbosa is just badass.

Try really watching the movie next instead of going in looking for reasons to bitch, because I thought that the movie was fucking excellent, and did a very good job of keeping the same feel and style as the original while at the same time going above and beyond in many ways. It was hilarious, had incredible special effects, the action scenes were wonderful, and the characters stayed very true to the original- even minor characters like Pintel and Ragetti, who I think really made the film shine, returned to their normal antics, which I felt really made Pirates II just as good, if not better, than the first.

Despain said:
Try really watching the movie next instead of going in looking for reasons to bitch, because I thought that the movie was fucking excellent, and did a very good job of keeping the same feel and style as the original while at the same time going above and beyond in many ways. It was hilarious, had incredible special effects, the action scenes were wonderful, and the characters stayed very true to the original- even minor characters like Pintel and Ragetti, who I think really made the film shine, returned to their normal antics, which I felt really made Pirates II just as good, if not better, than the first.

Haha I completely agree. I thought the movie was fantastic, definitely a step up from the first one(although that one was awesome too). Pintell and Ragetti are great! Although I must admit, there is no way those two by themselves could push the ship back into the water.

Well Des, if nothing else I agree with your motivations for Will and Elizabeth at the end but you should take your own advice with the spoiler tags. Plus, I said at the very beginning that there may be spoilers so to read at your own risk. I still think they're going out on a huge limb with the whole revival of dead characters thing but whatever. Oh, and I did go to the bathroom shortly after you see Norrington looking at the dirt on the seat but I thought the scene was over :/. Regardless, the movie just didn't "float my boat" so-to-speak I suppose. Oh well, meh. Maybe I'll like the next one more.

Although I must admit, there is no way those two by themselves could push the ship back into the water.

Well they are PIRATES. They probably used their beards to push it. After eating some beef jerky, of course.

Also, before anyone accuses me of being one of those "this movie was perfect" fanboys, let me say that I agree it was a bit too long. I think that the cannibal island scenes, which didn't have much to do with the rest of the story at all, really could have been cut down significantly, and it would have made the movie as a whole a lot better.

Despain said:
Well they are PIRATES. They probably used their beards to push it. After eating some beef jerky, of course.

Also, before anyone accuses me of being one of those "this movie was perfect" fanboys, let me say that I agree it was a bit too long. I think that the cannibal island scenes, which didn't have much to do with the rest of the story at all, really could have been cut down significantly, and it would have made the movie as a whole a lot better.

Haha yeah, pirates indeed. I suppose you have a point.

And yes I agree the movie was a bit drawn out too much, especially the scenes you mentioned. Those really weren't too necesary, but they were pretty enjoyable regardless. I was kinda hoping that towards the end, there'd be a 3-way battle between the Black Pearl, the Flying Dutchman and the East India Trading Company. that would have been the tits.

rexxz said:
Haha yeah, pirates indeed. I suppose you have a point.

And yes I agree the movie was a bit drawn out too much, especially the scenes you mentioned. Those really weren't too necesary, but they were pretty enjoyable regardless. I was kinda hoping that towards the end, there'd be a 3-way battle between the Black Pearl, the Flying Dutchman and the East India Trading Company. that would have been the tits.

hi pirates three

Edit:

Also, may I say that I am very, very glad that Norrington returned with a big role. He kicks ass, too.

ryanwh said:
If opinions thus far are any indication Pirates is set to be the next big thing in nerdy cosplay.

Maybe, but to be fair I've been a fan of "pirates" in general since I knew what they were at age 1. Always have been always will.

Despain said:
hi pirates three

Edit:

Also, may I say that I am very, very glad that Norrington returned with a big role. He kicks ass, too.

Yeah Norrington ruled in this one, he was very manly, with his scraggly hair/beard combo etc.

Haha that fight on the rolling wheel was fucking ridiculous.

Every time you make consecutive posts that aren't legitimate bumps for a thread God kills a kitten. Lesson = don't do it :(.

ryanwh":1p6rrwnu said:
If opinions thus far are any indication Pirates is set to be the next big thing in nerdy cosplay.

I saw a middle-aged woman dressed up as a pirate at the movie theaters when I went to see it....

Fenrir said:
Every time you make consecutive posts that aren't legitimate bumps for a thread God kills a kitten. Lesson = don't do it :(.

Silence whelp. I wasn't bumping anything, nor am I "harming" anything. In conclusion, cry more please?

Nin

Just saw it, movie was awesome.
I thought the whole fish people thing was a bit overboard. Kraken was badass too, scared the shit out of me when it opened its mouth and roared at Jack near the end of the movie. XD

Normal pirates just dont do it anymore. They gotta have some kinda sctick to them. Cant imagine what the pirates in 3 will be. I mean, there's the obvious undead seamonster(when the "obvious route" for story progression becomes undead sea monsters, you just might be jumping the shark).
Here's hoping they carve out a solid 3 and dont drag it out any further, and dont tag on some new director for this or something.

Nin

But then again, Disney was a part of the movie, so they probably added a little fantasy into it. Ha, also seeing as it's just that much more violent and obscene than the first one, this would probably make Mr. Disney turn over in his grave.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.