Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

picture before attack.

hi there everyone,
i was just wondering if there is a way to make a picture show up before an attack animation happens during battle

for example, here is what i want to happen in my game..
i have the side view and the limit break systems so, when the limit break bar fills up you can use the special skill that you give him, well when i use it i have it set up to use a common event to show a picture, this..
it slide in from the right side of the screen, its not just poping up so what im asking for also needs to works with a few pictures, i used 9 to make him slide in. but he doesnt slide in until after the attack and the damage was taken place, i want the screen to tint, so it gets darker then the character slides in while it plays the sound effect for his voice and then after the picture fades away and the screen tints back to normal, then it shows the attack animation and the damage.
how is this possible??
sorry if this was a bad explanation of what i want, im no good at explaining things... lol if you need some more info let me know and i'll see what i can do to help.
thank.

*edit* here's a video taken with my cell phone, of my battle, you can kinda see what i'm talking about, see the picture at the end, i want that in-between the casting animation and the attacking animation, please.. thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqQ0Mrzdrs0

Go to the skills tab and set the user animation to your sliding picture animation and the target animation to whatever your skill animation is. That way you can have your picture slide across the screen before the attack happens. Does that make since?

well sort of, it does work in a sense i suppose, but i guess i didnt say above, but ok, here is what should happen,
1. cast animation.
2. sliding pictures.
3. attacking animation.
4. damage pop-up.

with what you said to do is this.
1.sliding pictures.
2. attacking animation.
3. damage pop-up.

lol, it works but i need the cast animation, otherwise it doesnt look very good.. plus then if i did it your way i would have to line up the pictures and resize them so that they fit as an animation. thats alot of work i think.. since i have 8 characters to do this with..

thanks for the quick reply and the suggestion though, its appreciated.

You could combine the casting animation and sliding pictures as one animation. That would mean setting up 8 different animations.
Making an animation sheet wouldn't be that hard. You could make a request in the resource request section. It sounds easy enough I sure people would help you if you explain it clearly enough.

I suppose that could work, i'll put up a request in the resource request section , but i dont know if i see this finishing very fast.. otherwise i'm always open to ideas. im uploading a video on youtube of my battle to show you guys what im trying to do also.

*EDIT* check the first post for the video now, it'll help explain what i want, lol also, sorry i changed the graphics of the pictures, so it looks a little better than it did in the picture on the first post.

Guess what, I thought of another way to do this.
The problem with my first idea was that you want the casting animation over the character and the slide animation in the middle of the screen. But you can't switch between the two scoops during an animation.

This other way could get complected so heres a download so you can look through the database and see what I did: clicky clicky

Step one: Create a skill (we'll call it limit break) with a scoop of none. Set the user animation with the skill use animation. Leave the Target animation as none. You'll set it to trigger a common event.

Step two: create a common event that plays the slide animation. This way you can use two different animations that play in different parts of the screen. Then set it to trigger a switch (call it Player1 Limit or something)

Step three: Go to the troops tab. Create a battle event that is conditioned to play with the switch is on. Spanned for "moment". You force action the skill with the action animation to play. Then you just copy the battle event to all the other monster troops so this will work in every battle.

This way you get your:
1. cast animation.
2. sliding pictures.
3. attacking animation.
4. damage pop-up.

Heres the problem with this. If the skill attacks all the characters then your safe. But if your limit break only goes after one target then you got problems.
Under force action you select which target right? Well, you can select index1 which will go after the next monster in line. But say the player wants to skip the first couple targets and go after number 3. Well force action has a "last target" option. But the last target was "none" because skill you set up to trigger the common event is set to none.
You could set that skill to target one enemy. That way the last target will go after whatever enemy the player choose. Buuut if you do that then one the casting animation finishes either a "miss" or "0" will flash over the enemy before the sliding and action skill animation is triggered.

haha yeah that works out really well, but yes i see what you mean with the limit breaks one attacking a single enemy.. which kinda sucks too, cause im gonna have a couple different limit breaks for each character and some of them, well i guess most of them except for a few special ones will only attack a single monster..

i'll use this system for now, until we somehow figure out a way to make the miss or 0 to not show.
thanks.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.