Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Outage explanation

jamie

One liner: Stuff went wrong at 2036, stuff was fixed at 2115.

Brief explanation (all times are UTC/GMT):

RMXP is hosted on Slacked's server, Slacked's server is on Awknet's network (they provide our connectivity to the rest of the world as well as the physical machine). Awknet itself has several "upstream" providers (upstream as in they are higher up the chain) which agree to pass on their traffic to the rest of the Internet, one of these upstream providers is GlobalCrossing.

At 2036 UTC a failure upstream in GlobalCrossing's network caused falcon to be unavailable. This meant that rmxp.org was inaccessible (you may also have experienced problems connecting to Slacked (IRC) during this time). The fault was rectified by 2115.

More technical explanation:

There was some confusion (see the status.s.o post over here) over whether the problem was due to a failed switch in Awknet's (our service provider) network or something else. This turned out to be partially true, however the main cause of the problem was within GlobalCrossing's network, specifically the route between GlobalCrossing and Internode.

If you had any problems after 2115 it was probably due to this:
It turned out that there was also a problem with one of the switches at Awknet which meant DNS resolution on falcon was not working, this was rectified by 2220.

There should be no residual problems. Everything should be fine. The sky is back up again. Thanks for your patience. :thumb:

Momentary crash, 10:36. 3/17/08.
Eastern time zone, methinks
Got booted from chatroom. I was gonna show Yeyinde why his ass isnt all that...

khmp

Sponsor

@holloway:
I was going to reply with something to effect, "he's just a kid lol", until I found out he was two years older.

@Holloway: XD
I was kinda joking though, at first I thought it was just a typo or they forgot to put in ":"s...I didn't even think about military time, lol.

jamie

There was further downtime today around ~1200 UTC which was for maintenance to fix a faulty switch.

More info here (including a statement on this weeks problems from Awknet).

shadow

Sponsor

More downtime tonight, lasted about 5 minutes. I had to repair a database table that somehow became corrupted. Doesn't look like we suffered any side effects, but feel free to post any problems you might find.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.