Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Online Maze Tower Defence

The idea is a tower defend where you build on the enemy's path to get them to follow a maze that you build (See warcraft 3 maul maps).

If you're unfamilar with mauls then here's a guide:
maulmap.png

Red represents where the enemies spawn, the numbers are the 9 player starting locations, green is where the enemies need to get to, blue and white is where the enemies can move, most tower defences only let you build next to the path (The black), but in a maul you build on the white locations, where you can build complex mazes of towers that the enemies have to walk through.

There are other game modes with the maul, the above map would be co-op, then there's last man standing where each player has their own lane to manage, and finally there's wars, where two teams build defences on each side of their map, with their spare money they buy troops which are sent toward the other enemy's base.

To mix things up, each player in my version of the game has their own online profile which levels up the more they win, which gives them points to spend towards minor upgrades (Like increased build rate or more damage) or buy a new set of towers entirely (There are elements, like slowing towers, splash damage towers, gradual damage towers). This is of course a game model similar to what league of legends uses.

Spoo

Sponsor

I loved playing these back with WC3; it'd be awesome to see a good online MP one. I do have a question regarding the online profile. By an online profile do you mean persistent level tracking? That seems like it would give newer players a disadvantage, especially in competitive modes.

Spooky":3ef8nv2f said:
I loved playing these back with WC3; it'd be awesome to see a good online MP one. I do have a question regarding the online profile. By an online profile do you mean persistent level tracking? That seems like it would give newer players a disadvantage, especially in competitive modes.
Yes persistent level tracking, competitive modes would be only against those that are around your level I suppose.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.