Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

online game hackers exist

Why do online game hackers exist? Honestly, what is the point of them? Why do they exist? Why can't they give gamers a fair go? How can we get around them? You see them in COD, Mario Kart, Capcom fighting games, etc. Is there any way they can be rid of for good so the rest of us can have fun and not force us to think "online is crap in this game"?

As an online game hacker myself, I feel I can answer this.

Why do I exist? Well, because many moons ago a couple people made some bad decisions, and for some reason decided to follow through with them.

But I assume you're actually asking why I hack online games. In short, there are two reasons. First, to see if I can. Some gamers play for achievements, others for competition, and me, to see if I can break things. I get a great sense of accomplishment from doing something that not only was I not meant to, but I was able to get by the system in place to stop me. It's like achievements on steroids. The second reason, is that often by doing so, I get to see content not meant to be public. I get to play with the Developer's Sword of 1000 Deaths or whatever else I can find buried in the code that is not typically obtainable. Sometimes, I do it to prove a point. "Skeletron drops Red's Wings!!!1!" No, I can confirm it does not. How? A bit of hacking.

The most important question you asked is why can't we give gamers a fair go.

Personally, I do. I only use my abilities for exploration, or at worst, to prove a point beyond the ... point... of deniability. I can point something out to a developer. As a bug report, it would sit on the shelf for years. But when they see me doing [whatever it is i shouldn't], my trash account gets banned and they *fix the bug immediately* (at least, in many cases. I'm looking at you, Runes of Magic. You're welcome.)

Humans need instant gratification. Unfortunately, making a point to a couple people is often not enough. Some take their enjoyment out of godlike powers in PvP. Personally, I'll occasionally abuse glitching in PvP, but my rule is nothing that requires external tools or hacking knowledge. So at least its "fair cheating", as every single player present has the capability to do the same, if they'd train their Google-fu beforehand.

It is tragic that not everyone has a code of ethics, and I'll apologize on behalf of "my people". Give someone a shiny red button and tell them not to push it for all eternity. It's 100% guaranteeable the button will be pushed before the end. Some of them just get a little too crazy with it and spam the crap out of that shiny red button. Not sure what to say about them - they suck to their fellow hackers just as well as the rest of you.

Also, wrong forum.

The title of this thread sounds like the least sensationalist newspaper headline ever.

Anyway.

A lot of people have a desperate need to just be higher than anybody else. I stopped gaming with my gamebuddies because they started macroing just so they could be higher - wanted me to but I didn't see the point, I wanted to PLAY the games.

That's not to say all hackers want that though.

I don't see the point, at all, in hacking just to win games or win leaderboards. It doesn't give you anything. I guess it does - your brain sends doobries around your body making you feel superior and fantabulous - but in real terms it's not giving you anything.

But then why do we play games at all?

And isn't hacking a kind of game?

Your last words were very wise.

But yeah, people that cheat to win have no idea they've cheated themselves more. They'll never enjoy the game as much as the person who earned it.
[Which is the entire reason I choose to have guidelines for my own hacking :)]

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.