Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Olympics

Since this forum has members across the world, I wanted to see how other people view the Olympics. I didn't watch the China Olympics 4 years ago, so my memory of how the games are covered is a little fuzzy. It seems because I'm in the USA I'm only getting coverage of "team" USA this year. I swear I remember watching as a kid and listening to coverage about athletes from other nations. This year they have all this special footage of the USA athletes of whatever event is on before going to the commercials, closeups ect...
And with the Hunger Games fresh in my mind I can't help put compare it to the way they dressed up Tributes for television. They're athletes not television stars. I think they might be trying to make the Athletes more memorable, cause unless they win a lot of metals no one will remember them. But IMO countries coming together is what is important, it doesn't have to be entertaining. With the camera always focused on your country its like saying the only thing that is important is how well your country is doing. (I have't watch a whole lot so I could be wrong and just been lucky to tune in whenever the USA is on)

My sister was making noise watching swimming yesterday and I asked who she was cheering for. She stared at me like I was stupid and said I wasn't very patriotic. I've always saw it as athletes from different countries competing together. Not athletes representing the nation they came from. And if someone won a gold metal it was a personal victory not a national one. But idk, watching some of the athlete commentaries they have a very different attitude. Like winning a gold metal makes you an "American hero". Personally I like to cheer for one of the smaller countries that never win any metals, especially when the USA brags about ALWAYS winning gold in a certain event.

Is it a big deal cheering for your own country in the games? Is the TV coverage focused on your country's team where you live?

I keep typing metal instead of medals. same difference.

Canada is ranked #20 for summer, #6 for winter, and #16 overall (in all time medals)
Figures Canada would be better in winter sports. Beach Volleyball doesn't sound very Canadian.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.