Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

OH GOD A MASSIVE BATTLE SYSTEM REQUEST

BASICS

if you familiar with magic the gathering this will make a lot more sense. if not i'll still try to explain it so listen up buds!!!

there are five different kinds of magic, and the entire party shares them all. in other words, you have a shared pool of magic, and within that pool there are five different types of MP. each MP type has a diffrent value.

make sense? maybe a visual will help.

http://bb.xieke.com/files/1.png[/img]

(or maybe something a bit prettier)

http://bb.xieke.com/files/3.png[/img]

but you get the idea, right?

now it gets more challenging - USING that.

each skill NORMALLY uses only one type of MP. sometimes it might use some from one type and some from another type. sometimes it might use a little of all. it would be displayed something like this (probably an easy menu edit)

http://bb.xieke.com/files/2.png[/img]

SKILLS

now the tough part comes in when i want to assign things. i been racking my brain about how to get it to work and i think it will be easiest in an external text file, or maybe even in the script itself, and it'd have to be assigned per individual skill.

for example

[ skill id ][ white MP needed ][ blue ][ black ][ red ][ green ] or something similar

Code:

would then mean skill one requires two white MP to use it. if you got at least 2 MP in the white collective MP pool, then you're good to go. but if white's out, you can't use it, even if you got all of the other pools full to the max.

i hope that makes sense!!!!

ITEMS

then there's the question of MP recovery items, which would have to be handled similarly

i'm thinking it would just be a YES or a NO for each one. FOR EXAMPLE:

[ item id ][ white yes or no ][ blue ][ black ][ red ][ green ] or something similar

Code:

would therefore mean that item number 001 only affects blue MP. in the database, i'd set up item 001 like any other healing item, for HP and MP and anything else. except that anything that I set in the database for recovering MP would only affect blue MP.

similarly, I could set items to heal ALL the colors of MP, or maybe all but one color of MP, etc.

also if a skill or item doesn't show up in the list for whatever reason, it would be cool to make it just affect no slots rather than giving me an error. that way i don't have to do the thing for every single skill and item like some might not make use of MP or anything (like there'd be no reason to bother listing the IDs for items that only heal HP anyway).

MISC (and suggestions?)

i'm TOTALY not picky about this, as long as it works. the formatting and whatever doesn't have to be exactly like i say, as long as it's easy for me to manupilate it. also, the general battle system would otherwise be the default battle system, so no insane changes needed there.

IN ADDITION, i think that it would be easiest for me to set aside 5 heroes in the database to represent each of the 5 MP pools. that way i can have items that increase the max HP of a certain pool or something and when they are used it would just increase the max HP of that character. the hero would never really seen or join the party or anything, just a way of keeping track of the max of the hp for each pool. in other words, the max size of each pool would come from an actor's max mp.

in addition, make it as pretty as you want. i'm a biog fan of very simple and clean interfaces, but i'm not picky about exactly where things are positioned as long as they look ok. you don't have to stick too exactly to my mockups. if you want to use bars rather than numbers, go ahead. so long as the finished thing looks and feels polished, then i'm not gonna bitch.

also there would have to be some small edits to the default menu to show the mana pools and eliminte individual MP. this is up to you if you take this request, i mean go ahead and make it look however you want (unless you really want me to make a mockup for this i can no problem) like i said i'm not picky as long as the information is there.

anything else? i don't know. ask my if you have any questions. i understand this is big so i'll owe you a favor if you do this for me.

Is this still available? Doesn't look too difficult for me and I'm already familiar with MTG so I got the idea :)  I'll be happy to help unless someone's already working on it. Dun wanna reinventing the wheel ^ ^;;

hima":1e9kdmdp said:
Is this still available? Doesn't look too difficult for me and I'm already familiar with MTG so I got the idea :)  I'll be happy to help unless someone's already working on it. Dun wanna reinventing the wheel ^ ^;;

Wyatt started it, but as far as I know all he did was the appearance in battle and hasn't done the major changes yet. If you're willing to, go for it.

and HIMA PLAYS MAGIC?? that's like +10 cool points to a dude who was already off the chart

I don't mind someone else making it, I'll still make it as well though as I need the practice :).

Current progress:

- GUI done
- Skills work, takes away the right SP from the right pools
- Added the SP costs to skill menus and such
- Pools in menu

Left to do:

- Healing items

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/dudemaster/despain2.png[/img]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... spain4.png[/img]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... spain3.png[/img]

Let me know if there's anything you need changing. Otherwise, I'll upload it.

Some notes:

With item healing, you just need to tick the elements that relate to the types of magic you want them to heal. They are changeable in the settings script.

Also in the settings script is how you set up skills, with arrays:

ID = just for show - i.e. so you know which is which

ID, white, blue, black, red, green
[ 1,  18,  0,  0,  0,  0]

Guess you won't need me now :'(
*runs away in tear*

Anyway, looks really good, Wyatt :)  Although I found it's more convenient for me to use hash to set up the skill and its mana cost. Like this
Code:
1 => [ 18,   0,   0,   0,  0 ]

But I guess it depends on your preference.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.