Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

New Terraria Server?

If I started a new Terraria server, would you play?

• Yes! Please start one ASAP!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Sure. Probably wouldn't play often, but it'd be fun for a bit.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Nah.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone up for starting a new Terraria server?

A little something to whet your whistle in prep for StarBound.

If I get 3 or more people interested (who will be able to play relatively often), I'll do it.

We should come up with some rules; answer these questions if you're interested:

- Softcore, Mediumcore, or Hardcore characters?
(Softcore = Lose some money on death; Mediumcore = Lose some items on death; Hardcore = When you die, you die for good)

- Allow import of materials from other characters?
(Such as rare colored bricks, which would mess up the world to recover properly)

- New characters only, or allow souped-up characters from past games?
(Always sucks to start so slow, with so little mana)

- Allow import of items/equippables?
(Such as gold horseshoes, better tools, red balloons, clouds in jars, etc.?)

- Ideas for any cool or funky ideas for NPC apartments?
(Gimme ideas for fun buildings!)

- PVP Arena?
(Do you want one?)

I can also do fun giveaways of cool items (like molten gear, etc. ... I have multiples of every item ever pretty much on my various past characters), awarded after competitions like "be the first to get to hell", or some-such. Might be cute.

Also don't knock Hardcore completely. I think it'd be pretty fun to actually be AFRAID of doing stupid shit, and it'd definitely keep people concentrating on safety at night (and probably working in teams on mining treks) :P

TBH I'd PREFER if we did Hardcore, just for the dynamic of always looking before you leap! (If we did PVP, I would recommend anyone pick a base-level hardcore dupe, so no feelings are hurt, and everyone is on the same level).

Fusty

Sponsor

I'd love to join a server! I haven't played in ages, but rumors of a new PC update have made me think about starting again.

(Softcore = Lose some money on death; Mediumcore = Lose some items on death; Hardcore = When you die, you die for good)

Softcore, simply because I hate losing a complete character just because I screwed up once. There's nothing wrong with losing a couple of items but if mediumcore includes losing rare items and powerfull weapons then my vote goes out to Softcore.

(Such as rare colored bricks, which would mess up the world to recover properly)

No opinion on this one.

Allow older characters. I'd like to continue with my character, I'd prefer not to start over from scratch.

Sure, why not.

Hmm.. I've always enjoyed building flying islands for my npc buildings ;p

- PVP Arena?
(Do you want one?)

Yes! PvP is an aspect of Terraria that I've never tried but I'd love to see how it plays out. Maybe even a large scale PvP map, like a fort war/CTF or something?

=====

On the issue of whether I'll be online often: I'll probably be on almost every evening unless a shitton of schoolwork gets in my way.

Spoo

Sponsor

Anything is fine really; it has more to do with how risky each individual wants to play. I don't think anyone is going to complain if we have a mixed bag, right?

Absolutely not, with maybe the exception of building blocks for the central city.

New characters, of course. It's been a while; I think it'd be a fresh experience for all of us to start from scratch.

Nein. Same deal with the above. Let's keep it fresh.

Like I mentioned, a home city sounds like a really fun project. Give each NPC his or her own little niche. Might not be as convenient, but IMHO it looks a lot better.

- PVP Arena?

I'm all for it. I had a great time working on it last time, and I've actually been toying around with a class wars idea with some peeps from the Starbound forums and TO. Something along the lines of this.

I can't wait.

Fusty

Sponsor

Haha, don't worry, I'll adapt to whatever the server turns into. :) Hardcore mode is the only thing I really want to avoid. As for the importing characters/stuff, I can live with a new character if you guys prefer it that way.

I don't have time to play much, so don't weigh this too heavily, but these are my votes:

- Softcore
- No imported materials
- New characters
- No imported items
- PVP only if softcore, but I probably wouldn't PVP anyway

Fusty":jk7r7jjt said:
- PVP Arena?
(Do you want one?)

Yes! PvP is an aspect of Terraria that I've never tried but I'd love to see how it plays out. Maybe even a large scale PvP map, like a fort war/CTF or something?
Having team-based PVP would be amazing, but in order to ensure people didn't grief (I cannot block people from buying dynamite or bombs, for instance), you'd have to build your forts out of blue brick or stronger (so it wouldn't explode). But regardless, I would not be able to ensure people would not destroy each others' creations. We'd all have to figure out a way to get 50 gold coins each atleast too, so we could have safes (to safeguard against stealins).

If we could reach an amiable agreement that neither team would grief the other, than woo hoo!

Otherwise, I think I can make us two maps ... One for "realsies" and building, and the other for PVP tournaments, where griefing/stealing/blowing up bases/etc. is allowed. The PVP one would only be for short bursts of time, like an hour or two.

Actually honestly hardcore mode in PVP tournaments is the only way I can realistically determine a winner :P. So for that I could just make throwaway maps and we could all do throwaway characters?

Okay maybe we're overthinking this and should just try to get started?

I figured it would be fun to make the main central "city" where the NPCs' apartments are at, to have a congruent "look" or "motif". My personal vote is for either clay brick or stone brick (easiest to come by with the exception of wood), and we could try to theme it to look medieval (stone brick castle look with wooden or red brick roofs)?

But honestly it's more fun just to be creative so w/e ;P

Softcore. You die pretty often.

No.

No.

No.

- PVP Arena?
(Do you want one?)
I really like how we did it last time. I would rather not have any huge already built capital or anything.
No on the pvp arena because no one used it last time.

Spoo

Sponsor

Are we talking persistent PvP, then? If that's the case, you could feasibly divide the world into two equal parts with a large, multi-biome no-man's land between them. The two base sides would be effectively off-limits to the other team members in normal circumstances, and all the bloody stuff happens in the middle area. It'd be interesting to have most of the natural resources in the middle area as well.

Actually, that concept would work just as well for a PvP exclusive map. The idea of switching servers for PvP doins' is great, but it seems like it might cause a bit of confusion at times . Not positive on that, though.

I agree with bacon that I prefer not having prebuilt stuff. Maybe we can get fancy with special materials and whatever later, but it's kinda fun to start from nothing.

I think we should just go ahead and get started, honestly. It seems like the consensus is to start fresh.

As far as a town goes, it might be fun to build a big tower together and have all kinds of fanciful and gravity-defying wings coming off of it and whatnot. Individual houses are fine too, though.

Spoo

Sponsor

Just to keep everyone informed of the possibilities, Redigit, the developer of Terraria, made this post recently. He says it's a hypothetical, so nothing is confirmed, but you have to consider he also said he was done with updating the game nearly a year ago, so the possibility of a future update isn't out the window just yet.

Also, bacon, it'd be pretty cool to have an inter-forum PvP match, although I doubt it'd end too well.

FYI due to majority vote (and my ruling) it's:

- Softcore
- NEW CHARACTERS ONLY
- No import items
- Start fresh
- PVP arena will be events with throwaway worlds + chars (scheduled)

I'm making a new thread for connection deet's

I hope I get a chance to play a little bit tonight, but I have to finish this soul-eating homework first. I just wasted all day bashing my head against some stupid JavaScript code that I didn't really understand with no clue how to debug it, and it turns out the problem was the sample code they posted on the site didn't actually work. Well, I digress. Woo server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.