Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

New bumping rules.

Erk

The rules for bumping have changed, to limit spam and make the lives of the mods a little bit easier.

First, we have added an official definition of a bump.
rules":1rk1hvw8 said:
"Bumping" is defined as making a content-free post for the sole purpose of moving a topic to the front page of a forum.
Bumping is only permitted in 5 places on this site: in the RMXP Support forum, the RGSS Support forum, the Recruitment forum, the Resource Requests forum, and the Script Requests forum (the five forums with a comment about bumping in their forum description). In any other forum, no matter how much time has passed, a bump is considered spam. In those five forums, bumps are permitted once every 72 hours. That's three days. No sooner!

"But these rules are so harsh," I hear many people saying already. That is why we have an official definition of a bump. Note that posts which add content do not qualify as bumps in the official definition, which brings us to the second update.

Posts which add content (eg. clarifies a request, or updates a project topic) are not considered bumps. These are therefore a permissable way to move an old topic to the front of the list. If someone else has posted the last post in your topic, obviously you may add another content post whenever you like. That is normal posting. If you were the last one to post, please wait at least 24 hours before posting your content as a new post: before that, use the EDIT button to add material to your previous post.

This means that requests/support threads/recruitment threads can be bumped faster (once a day) if the "bump" includes clarification of the request/problem/job, rather than just being a content-free bump.

Also please note that it is no longer acceptable to bump at all in, say, the Project Discussion forum. If your project falls off the front page, the only way to bring it back is to add more to it. Otherwise, suck it up princess! People are not going to talk about your project unless you give them something to talk about.

I really like the new Bumping rules.
It's a good idea to be honest.
To reduce pointless posts in Request/Projects

~K

You may want to clarify what constitutes "adding new content". I'm sure you wouldn't count "Making good progress" as adding new content, but I can imagine that statement being used. It's obviously up to the moderator's descretion, but clarification can save some headaches in the long run.

I agree with the title loan man. It would be nice to know what counts as a bump and what doesn't.

If saying you've updated something does or doesn't for example.

Kraft

Sponsor

Hey, who had the Idea of a 72 hour bump?

I know that the intention was good, but 72 hours!
That is seriously a long time to wait!

I posted a request for a pic, and waited patiently 48 hours before I just hade to do something!

Not a single post, and it was on page 3!

No one would see it or respond to it if it was on page 3!

I hardly ever look past page one when I am checking for requests, so I am sure that others too don't.

I am just voicing my opinion,, sorry if I seem rude...

It is just 3 days is a long time to wait.

and what was wrong with the 24 hour bump? it worked fine, people were satisfied, and there were only like 3 or 4 topics tha had about 5 bumps before a reply.

anyway...

Kraft

You did read this didn't you

Well, In the Resource Request and Script Request Forums, many of the topics created are poorly made requests where the requester continuously waits 24 hours to bump their topic expecting someone to do it for them. Over time you get many people just bumping their topics which clutters the first page with their requests. By increasing the "bump" time, if you make a bad request then you are only hurting yourself, also this allows other, more decent requests to get some attention.

Anonymous

Personally, I think this rule is still too lenient. It's very annoying when you've worked hard on something and post it only for it to be kicked off the top immidiately by 'bump' and nothing else. I don't mind if there's something new to add but if you just want your topic to get more attention, just link it in your signiature.

Eh, I think perhaps bumping delegated to have many pages back would be better but there's no way to really measure that I dont think. I mean, 72 hours in the request section is very different than 72 hours in every other section.

I'm thinking it should be increased to a 5 days or a week before bumping. There are topics with some 10 consecutive post that simply say "bump" or something similar. In some cases, they would include whining, the "sympathy approach," and some are just plain rude.

Kraft

Sponsor

hmm... Well the reason that I did not add more content to my post (yes I did think about it) was because then I would get warned for double posting.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.