Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Nerdy Board Games ~

Talk about nerdy board games!

Not stuff like Monopoly or Checkers, but the more niche ones that you can only really get from comic and card shops, with stats or figurines, like Carcasonne, Settlers of Catan, Munchkin, etc.

I own a whole lot of them! They're fun! :D

Talk about em!

Last night I played Arkham Horror for the 1st time!

9781589942103.jpg

Has anyone else played it?

I super recommend it! It's not ridiculously difficult to learn, is well-balanced, and is very playable, with as many as 6 players, or even as few as 3.

If you're not familiar:
You command a character from an included array of characters. Some are pretty amusing, like a knock-off Indiana Jones. You can get items, weapons, spells, or skills, based on random occurrences, what you buy, or starting equipment.
There's one randomly-selected Big Bad Main Monster. Depending on several factors, you may eventually need to fight it. But if you pull your shit together, and manage to close all portals and kill all monsters on the board, you can avoid the certain doom that your boss monster may provide.
You have to work together with your other players, moving around the board, gathering clues/items, fighting monsters, travelling to other dimensions through portals, sealing them, and keeping careful track of your health and sanity.

It's pretty awesome, and not hard to pick up, despite seeming so complicated.

Give it a try if you haven't :D

Spoo

Sponsor

I don't have nerdy enough friends to play tabletop RPGs with anyone, so I can't say I have much experience there.

Board games for me consist of Balderdash, Taboo and/or Scattergories with the family when my brother and sister-in-law are home.

onzephyr

Awesome Bro

zombies_se_01.jpg

Have loved Zombies!!! and all the expansions since what 2001 or so.

zombietown.jpg

also played and enjoy Zombie Town.

Does Magic: the Gathering count? It's not a board game but satiates the same craving. Because I've lost a small fortune in my youth to that one. Hell I still look longingly at booster boxes on occasion.

Recently taught my fiance's mom how to play Dominion so we can play something more interesting than Apples to Apples when we're over.

225515.jpg

We also taught her Munchkin, but the RPG concepts and nuances in rules are too frustrating for her I think, since she's never played a game where she has to track stats or equipment etc

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.