Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Need some scripter help

Not an actual request
Town/City script:
RMVX:
Detailed Description:
After a long time not using rmxp a friend bought for me rmvx as b-day present.
He wanted me to try the new maker out etc. blablabla.
So, A few weeks ago I finally started to mess around with it. And now I'm a little stuck :) This not an actual script request just need some information.

This is something I want to give a try to create something that maybe can be used in the future, or will be failing.. so here goes;
What I want to create is some sort of town/city system like Etrian odyssey or Suikoden tierkreis.Now for this I want to know what is better, scripting it or eventing it?
I'm thinking towards scripting it since you can do more then eventing.
But I want to know if it is possible scripting it? (I have very little knowledge about it from the past) And together with that, I want to know if someone can help me with atleast how to use pictures as backgrounds, how use even more pictures in scripts to create menus, buttons, drawing portraits or characters etc. and how to use bgm's in menus.

Concept of this script is a menu with 5 options, whether they are new scenes or just maps, this is what it roughly needs to be.
Town 1 got
-Inn
-Shop
-Castle
-Forestpath (leading to forest map)
-Exit town (leading back to worldmap)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/K ... xample.png
Screen shots:
Suikoden;
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... bed002.jpg
Etrian Odyssey
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7358 ... 844su4.jpg

Other Scripts I am using (in order):
Will be much :) Got a few big scripts from Woratana, Dargor etc and many smaller thingies. But I want to start this in a new project.

So this is NOT a request, but just need information if it is possible to achieve, or what can be done to make it better. (the little things like showing pictures in scripts is a request) Sorry if it is still not clear, it's hard to explain :P Hope someone can help me out here.

OS

Sponsor

Yes, this can be done with scripting. It is a simple matter of drawing the background for a particular area and the menu.

All you have to do is load an image based on the selected option in a the menu, which can be done by storing the names of the pictures in an array in the same order they appear in the mean, so that

image = Cache.load_picture(array[menu.index])*

*Not actual code. Just an example.

You would simply change the scene to the next location, whether it be a Map, or another instance of your class.

I hope I have been helpful. I might not be back on to respond, so if you have any questions, just e-mail me at rusu.arc@gmail.com.

Not an actual request
Small help with building new scenes/windows:
RMVX:
Detailed Description:

Basicly the same reason as first request :P
This is something I want to give a try to create something that maybe can be used in the future, or will be failing

Well first, Sorry OS for the respond now, but your info worked great!
Second, these are my actual questions for now;

1st, Concept is some sort of construction/(build and upgrade)resource menu. Most heavily based on variables, switches and common events.
For now, I got the variable part covered XD, just need help with the use of switches and common events. How can I use them in scripts and in what way?

2nd, Done!

3rd, Is it possible to give the scene a map id as background?

I hope someone can give me some answers on it :D Thanks in advance!

(btw, I used the RGSS Reference on RRR, but it is only the XP ruby. I need a RGSS2 Reference for VX.)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.