Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Need help with fixing an EXP meter

I've been trying to reverse engineer the eventing for a HP bar I made (credit goes to Kiyoshi for the source eventing data), so I could make an EXP bar. However, the exp bar is not working as I suspected it would. It's supposed to be initially empty and fill up as the player gains EXP. It appears it keeps doing the formula each time the player pauses, unpauses, and then pauses again. So, the exp bar keeps getting smaller each time the screen is updated via pausing.

Is there anyway to tell it to only update the EXP display ONCE, unless the EXP value has changed?

Capx link

onzephyr

Awesome Bro

Took a quick look at the .capx but didn't see the specific events for the exp bar.
What event # are involved in the exp bar, and the pause. That may help me find what's going on.

one way you could do the effect (empty exp bar grows as player gains exp, then level up if needed) is the example file below.
EXPBAR.CAPX example file.

I've set up the example as a group that gets activated only when needed. You don't have to do it that way. it would work as an each tick event just fine. But it sounded like you wanted it to only fire off when updated.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.