Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Multiplayer battleing. ~ More of a question than a request.

Tdata

Sponsor

An interesting question popped into my head as I was reading the thread for the multiplayer contest.  Is there a way to have a multiplayer battle on one computer? 

My example would be based on the Pokemon style battle.  I don't mean the format, but the premise.  Two people play the same game on different computers and decide to find out who's team would win in a fight. 

The setup would be on the order of Pokemon Stadium.  Two players can battle using their respective teams on one system.  It would almost have to be Side-view as I can not see it working with any of the other battle-systems I've looked at. 

Here is how I personally see the End-User functionality:

I, player 1, challenge Lisa, player 2, to a battle.  Knowing that she plays the same game, we both select at the titlescreen Multiplayer, then setup.  This option brings up a window asking you to select a save file to 'convert' for multiplayer play.  We select our save file and a new save file is created named multi-(main character's name)-(timestamp).multi.  Then Lisa transfers her .multi to my game folder.  I select Multiplayer then Battle.  The window that appears will ask player 1 to select the save file to use.  Then it will ask player 2 the same question.  It will them proceed to setup the battle with player 1 on the left and player 2 on the right.  Then they battle as though it were against a normal monster.  Prizes and Exp will be awarded to the victor.

Now, here is the fun part, as long as there is one .multi in the folder, you can battle yourself, or any other .multi the the folder.  The catch is that you can only 'Win' once.  IE: You can beat yourself multiple times to win a good prize.   Also, Every time you setup a .multi, it deletes you current .multi after updating the Won[] and Lost[] variables within.  That way, you can't just keep making .multi file to win more prizes. 

After each battle, your .multi is updated with any changes and is ready to be placed back on the original computer to be merged with the save file it came from. 

What do you all think?  It is the only way I can think of short of Lan functionality. 

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.