Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mulitplayer Game Ideas

I'm getting sad about our friends coming over WANTING to play FFXIV with one of us because they can't at home and like playing a game like that with me / Star.

Anyone know of a multiplayer game that has at least most of these features?

4+ Players (local / lan / system link)

* Open-world / non-linear
* Character building or creation / Team building or creation
* RPG / Hack-n-Slash

Games we generally love playing:

* Champions of Norrath
* Hyrule Warriors
* Hereoes III of Might and Magic
* Pokemon MAIN games (X & Y for example)

Games we generally don't like playing:
* Party games
* Sports games
* First-person shooters / Tactical Shooters

Thanks!

There's this co-op game. I can't remember it's name, something to do with Magic...Wizard...Arcana...It'll come to me later.
I haven't played it but the videos looked interesting. You have to input runes to cast spells- you have to memorize it and discover what the combinations are. It plays like a hack & slash game otherwise.

Diablo 2 is always fun. I heard they released an update for it recently to run on newer OS.

Terraria? Idk, I don't play a lot of multiplayer games.

Diablo 1, 2, 3 makes for good 4 player co-op RPG with character building. I don't think I'd describe it as open-world, entirely, but in the 2nd and 3rd games you certainly explore a lot of the world and there's travelling between dungeons.

I would definitely suggest Left 4 Dead 2, but that's an FPS and very linear with no character customisation, but it makes amazing 4 player co-op gameplay. It's definitely not a hard-core FPS (it's not player versus player - at least the standard game mode isn't) and involves a lot of co-op and sticking with buddies and communication and resource sharing. The game director AI specifically makes sure the team is having fun.

I remember Magicka being co-op, so I'll look in that.

One of the friends had played the hecks out of the Diablo III, but he might go back in time with Diablo II with us. And that same friend refuses to play FPS's. Him or I can't aim worth shit, and you can shoot your allies in L4D. :(

Thanks!

P.S. I know it's difficult - especially when most games are online nowadays. I'd say we should go back to just playing DnD, but having the WHOLE GROUP OF 5 together at the same time is kind of difficult. XD

The L4D friendly fire is like, 10dmg on medium difficulty or something and it drops down to 1dmg the more you shoot at your friends, it's very difficult to hurt your teammates with friendly fire (in the sense that it actually has a negative impact on their experience). The game's AI director does not punish your team at all if things are looking tough, so the more damage you take the more health packs and health pills spawn and if a team member dies the director could set a rescue point for them in a cupboard ahead so they can rejoin (highlighted on the screen, so the game gets a semi-side mission of rescue the comrade).

And because it's a game about shooting groups of zombies and large, distinctive special infected that stand out (and take about 2 shots to kill) it really does require very little aiming, which is why it was tolerable to play with a game-pad despite the lack of auto-aim. I wouldn't have recommended it if it was a hardcore shooter that requires precise aiming and leet skills to stay alive with 1 hit kill friendly fire, it really isn't like traditional FPS games.

It's the game I play with my non-gamer friends split screen on PC, which is why I recommended it despite it going completely against your wishlist at face-value.

There's other FPS co-op games I could have recommended but haven't because of their high skill requirement.

Either way, that friend who loves Diablo III won't touch FPS's, regardless of what they are. So it won't work. 3/4 of us will play, but that leaves him hanging. ;_;

I'd go against it actually, BECAUSE it requires so much teamwork and one of our friends is TERRIBLE at listening to us because of her mental illness.

It may or may not mean anything, but 3/4 of us have some sort of mental illness that makes picking games more difficult. We tried to play Smash Bros once and 2/4 of us just kept getting lost and falling off the stage. The girl who sucks at listening is also terrible at dodging or using any sort of moves/combos. She button mashes in EVERY GAME. She'd likely stand there fighting the tank with a measly pistol while the rest of us works our asses off. ;_;

During an online game of Hexen last night she must have died 80% of the time compared to the rest of us lol.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.