Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mode 7 - Passability Halp

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted in these forums, but I got back into RPG Maker about a year ago.

Anyway, the game I'm making uses Mode 7 (the old one, not H-Mode 7) on multiple different maps. I started making a new map with the same settings as my other maps, but for some reason, this map is having major passability issues. Most of the map is empty because it is supposed to have a panorama, but I filled all the empty space with an unpassable blank tile but the player still walks through the edge of the mountain into the sky. Some tiles like tree bases and events work fine, but everything else is passable when it shouldn't be.

If anyone is familiar with this script or has run into the same issue, please let me know. Thanks!

Solution
It's a pain, but it also has applications, if you have a good memory and know what blank tiles you're using where. Simplest answer is to never modify the top left tile, and only ever erase things using that tile. Assume any other blank tile is a different tile altogether.
Passable tiles take priority over unpassable ones; that's what makes bridges over water possible, etc.
Make sure that there are no passable invisible tiles painted in a layer above the unpassable ones, otherwise you will be able to walk where you shouldn't be.

I don't think that is the issue because the passability is fine on other maps with Mode 7 in my game. And some tiles are still impassable...maybe it's because I'm play-testing with the player starting on that map and Mode 7's script can sometimes get funky when you load it right away. I'll post back and see if that's the issue!

EDIT: The problem was with the tileset... I don't know why, but using the default "Mountain" tileset worked fine. :/ :blank:

Sounds like that old mistake everyone has made at least three times when the tileset passability is modified in the database and an X rather than an O is used on the transparent tile.

It's a pain, but it also has applications, if you have a good memory and know what blank tiles you're using where. Simplest answer is to never modify the top left tile, and only ever erase things using that tile. Assume any other blank tile is a different tile altogether.

Solution

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.