Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Minigame: Hunt the Wumpus

There is too little information about this game in Wikipedia, so I'll try to write my version.

In this minigame, the player is in a series of rooms (typically 20 but can be expanded as needed) connected to each other. Player starts in one room with only one arrow (might be increased) and the objective is to kill Wumpus, the monster. The Wumpus doesn't move around so player can determine in which room lies the Wumpus. The player only has one chance to use his/her arrow; if s/he misses, Wumpus will eat him/her and the game is over.

Now comes my version of Hunt the Wumpus.

Besides the Wumpus, there are some rooms with signs:

1. If a player enters a room with a breeze, there is a possible black pit hole in the next adjacent room. If player enters the black pit, it's game over. Here's a rough example:

Code:
R1-R2-R3
|   |  |
R4-BR-PH
|   |  |
R7-R8-R9
Fig 1. Room layout example of pit hole.

Since BR, the breeze, is in R5, the black pit hole (PH) is possibly in R2, R4, R6 (which currently we know it's in R6), and R8. Player doesn't know this map.

There is also a rule that every room surrounding a pit hole must have breeze, so Fig 1 is incorrect. The correct one should be like this:

Code:
R1-R2-BR
|   |  |
R4-BR-PH
|   |  |
R7-R8-BR
Fig 1a. Correct room layout of pit hole.

As you see, R3, R5, and R9 must have breeze warning, since the pit hole is in R6 and those rooms surround R6.

2. If a player enters a room with a scent, the Wumpus is possibly in the next adjacent room. At this room, player may decide to shoot the arrow to the next room where s/he thinks the Wumpus lies. Of course, if s/he misses, it's game over.
A rough example:

Code:
R1-WU-R3
|   |  |
R4-SC-R6
|   |  |
R7-R8-R9
Fig 2. Room layout example of Wumpus

The scent (SC) is smelled at R5, so the Wumpus (WU) is possibly in R2 (and there it is), R4, R6, and R8. Player also doesn't know this map.

Using the very same rule as Fig 1a, Fig 2 is also incorrect. The correct one is:

Code:
SC-WU-SC
|   |  |
R4-SC-R6
|   |  |
R7-R8-R9
Fig 2a. Correct room layout example of Wumpus

As you may have figured out, the surrounding rooms of R2 (where Wumpus is) must have scent sign, which are R1, R3, and R5.

3. If a player enters a room with a glitter, any next adjacent room may has treasure. This rule also follows the surrounding rule, so the correct example is:

Code:
TR-GL-R3
|   |  |
GL-R5-R6
|   |  |
R7-R8-R9
Fig 3. Correct room example for treasure.

Again, player does not know this map. If a player kills Wumpus, the game is won, but player won't be able to pick up any treasures s/he left.

4. From the original Hunt the Wumpus, there are also superbats. If you enter a room with a superbat, you are taken to a random room, but never directly to a pit nor Wumpus room. Rooms surrounding the superbat room should have a sound warning. I don't need to give an example, need I?

5. From those rules above, a room may have more than one sign. For example:

Code:
SC-WU-SB
|   |  |
R4-SB-PI
|   |  |
R7-R8-BR

See, since R3 is next to Wumpus (WU) and pit hole (PI), R3 must have two signs: scent and breeze. It applies too for R5. If by any chance a treasure is in R4, R5 should have all signs of breeze, glitter, and scent.

6. Instead of one arrow, player can have more than one arrow (determined before entering the game). If playing with more than one arrow, each time the player misses, Wumpus will move one room closer to the player (the warning signs should be updated too). Running out of arrows means game over. If by a chance the arrow can not move (i.e. hitting the very edge of the maze), it will move to the next available room in random. Well, if it hits you, you lose too.

Remember that player doesn't know the maze layout until s/he explores it him/herself.

Warning signs may be implemented like this:
Breeze: Wind BGS
Glitter: room is brighter (yellow, maybe)
Scent: player automatically talks to himself "I smell a Wumpus nearby" upon entering the room
Superbat sound: monster BGS

When playing this minigame, menu is disabled, but by pressing the same button as menu calling button, player is given options to retry (but with a new maze) or give up (quits the minigame; but this option should be disabled if it's part of the story). Pressing C button will have player to shoot the arrow, but first s/he must choose the direction. Random encounters are disabled (but this is an easy job).

I know all of these can be accomplished with normal eventing, but the challenges are:
- to randomize the room layout for each new game, and to randomize the connection between each rooms.
- to randomize positions of the obstacles.

Maybe we can edit a random dungeon generator for this purpose?

Anyway, it's just an idea that I think might be interesting to add to your minigame list. I don't really need it (although I want it for sure), but if someone wants to make this, it would be very appreciated. If there is more information you'd like to know, just ask.

Thank you.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.