Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

MIDI And LSD

creiz

MIDI And LSD

Some of us musicians here use FLStudio for their music-making needs. But, MIDI in FLStudio is only routed thru the hardware, and it doesn’t sound quite the same in RMXP. That is due to RMXP using DirectMusic, and the GM.DLS sound table, instead of using the hardware synthesizer like RM2k-3 did.

So, some of us has noticed that some MIDI we made are just, like, totally destroyed when playing it into our games.

That is where LSD comes in. nah, not the drug(bad joke) but the Fruity LSD.

http://www.soundkaos.com/RMXP/Fruity%20LSD.jpg[/img]

LSD has the convenient advantage that it uses the exact same sound table RMXP does: the GM.DLS.

To use it: Simply open your mixer [F9] and load Fruity LSD on any channel.
Be sure to set it to PORT [0]. It’s located in the upper right corner of the module.

Then go ahead and create some MIDI channels:
http://www.soundkaos.com/RMXP/Midi-Out.jpg[/img]

Now, as you can probably see, each time you chose an instrument for your Channel, LSD automatically selects it too.

And here is the magic of LSD: Different patches!

GM.dls not only has all 128 standard instruments, but it has “Extended Patchesâ€Â

Buying FL Studio was one of the best things I ever did! I used to have the pirated (back in my High School Hacker-wannabe days) copy of FruityLoops 3 and got a demo of FL Studio 5 and BAM it's undoubtedly the greatest studio package I've ever seen.

However, for some reason I have never been able to get the MIDI to ever work. I can never hear anything when creating samples or loops or when playing back.

Not that I use MIDI often for my games, I prefer to do mp3's with *real* instruments, but at the same time I don't know how to play a trumpet, and sometimes synthesised trumpets just sound so..... crap!

I used the program PSound to extract instruments and sound effects from a certain Final Fantasy game (It created ana rchive of 3000 .wav files for me to listen to one at a time and eliminate what I didn't want) And eventually found some great asian-themed instruments (some how the program managed to rip an individual note out of the music) And I've imported those wave files into FLS5 and have a whole music themed package I'm developing for my game =)

I must say I originally came here under the impression that there would be LSD!

Only joking, but LSD did intrigue me.

Nice find, I happen to use FL Studio, and have noticed that MIDIs, well. MIDI doesn't sound so good. ^^.

creiz

Well that, Paradox, homie, depends on your setup. When plugged with a Yamaha Hardware Synthesizer, MIDI sounds extremely good. David Bowie, Prince, and even Tony Braxton, among others, use MIDI for their instrumentals.

@neo_siebren. For FLStudio to play MIDI on thru your hardware, you must set up the ports in the MIDI Settings dialog [F10] and then Enable MIDI output in the Options drop-down menu. But use LSD, since it WILL sound better, unless you have a yamaha, Roland, or KORG hardware synthesizer

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.