Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Matrix Ripoffs

I'm in the mood for some good old Matrix ripoffs. Anything worth watching? I don't care how blatently the copy is.

One of my favourite movies:

The Thirteenth Floor

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/

Green and black glowy cover? Check
World is actually a computer simulation? Check
Ambiguously philosophical storyline? Check
1999? Check

Some other films..

Dark City

Dark City and The Matrix were filmed on the same sets, although DC came out first. Great film, not sure which is best, but they're definately both worth watching.

Inception

Great film. Christopher Nolan: "[I was influenced by] that era of movies where you had The Matrix, you had Dark City, you had The Thirteenth Floor and, to a certain extent, you had Memento, too. They were based in the principles that the world around you might not be real"

In Time

Ok, I'm at risk at branding any sci-fi film a Matrix ripoff. In Time clearly isn't intentionally, but there are so many themes continued between the two;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_time

Great film, starring Justin Timberlake of all people, and Amanda Seyfried (search for her interview with Johnathan Ross: she's a fucking psycho and I want to marry her. Before she kills me and stuffs me. (She's into that.))

To a large extent, the dystopian grunge-world from the Matrix shows up in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I know that general theme preceeds Matrix but it really set it off as it's own genre.

But I'm after something that more closely rips off The Matrix. Something that's blatantly there to cash in on the look and style, like this:

normal_the_thirteenth_floor__lou__tp_lucan63.jpg

Wait, what?
How you can describe In Time and Thirtheenth Floor as a Matrix ripoffs, these movies are based on novels from 1964 and 1965.
Dark City was nice, but ending was kinda meh.
Inception was based on some old Donald Duck comic where The Beagle Boys rushed into Uncle Scrooge mind to stole code to safe or something like that. Even Nolan said that one of his inspiration was that episode.
And Matrix is basically ripoff from "The Invisibles" -> number 6 http://www.cracked.com/article_19443_7- ... ecommended

Mind = blown.

Wyatt":21clxziu said:
Ok, I'm at risk at branding any sci-fi film a Matrix ripoff.
You can relax. I remember the years right after Matrix came out, when it seemed ANY sci-fi movie that was even remotely flashy got advertised/reviewed/described as "X meets The Matrix!"... ugh.

Anyway, you can skip playing Star Ocean: Til The End Of Time, which was also Matrix-inspired. By that point, the series desperately needed to break out of its formula of "Star Trek! ...for just the opening sequence, then you crash land on a low-tech world and now it's Another Fantasy RPG Seriously Why The Fuck Did We Even Bother With The Outer Space Setting". Unfortunately, they chose to achieve this by "Hey, let's do that, but then cram a Matrix rip-off plot twist into the story. What the hell, right?"

When you think about it, the very concept of "Hey What If Everything Isn't How It Seems And This Isn't Even Reality" is nothing new ...

Hell, in ancient China, a philosopher of the 100 Schools of Thought said something like "I dreamt I was a butterfly. I knew happiness only as a butterfly, unaware that I was a man. When I woke, I was a man again. Now I don't know whether I'm a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I'm a butterfly, dreaming I'm a man."
He was speaking more about spiritual transformations, but it's just an ancient example of people questioning whether or not the world around them is the real one.

And the "WHOA" concept behind it gets stoners even more excited than a giant sub sandwich covered in nacho cheese. Of course it'll be done over and over and over.

Oh, yeah, didn't mean to imply it wasn't. More that I'm after films that rip off the same things the Matrix ripped off I guess; there's clearly a matrix-like genre.

Thirteenth Floor was clearly made to cash in on the success of the Matrix. Not quite a Mockbuster but very, very close. It may well be based on a book, but that doesn't mean anything, a lot of Asylum films are based on books too.

But yeah I goofed on In Time, which is clearly nothing of the sort.

Anyway, watching 13th floor tonight.

moog

Sponsor

By that point, the series desperately needed to break out of its formula of "Star Trek!

star ocean 1&2 are medieval as fuck man what are you talking about. if anything, the sci fi element was so minimalistic that fan wtf'd when so3 launched.

moog":2566o6ct said:
By that point, the series desperately needed to break out of its formula of "Star Trek!

star ocean 1&2 are medieval as fuck man what are you talking about. if anything, the sci fi element was so minimalistic that fan wtf'd when so3 launched.

Read until the quotes actually close. The full statement is below:

By that point, the series desperately needed to break out of its formula of "Star Trek! ...for just the opening sequence, then you crash land on a low-tech world and now it's Another Fantasy RPG Seriously Why The Fuck Did We Even Bother With The Outer Space Setting".

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.