Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Making Villains Similar to the Most Popular Ones

This topic is very helpful, pretty my story has the older brother as the main villain, then the
(can't tell you) XXX, as the secondary or co-villain (I think) who is mentioned 20% of the story and seen at least 5% in the story. He was a friend but was hidden, then the last villains are the shades on Nothing (Evil substance) that are trying to raid the 3rd Realms and the Earth. I only gave you 3% of the story  :wink:

Nice stuff there buddy! Ive always been a villain sympathizer too, constantly intrigued by their inner workings and thoughts; that one reason why most of my protagonists can be called villains or anti-heros.  I agreed with most of what you said, though i disagreed with some. You failed to mention the "ambitious" villain, the one whose skills perhaps went unnoticed and now he vies to prove otherwise. Or maybe he isn't even evil just too ambitious, the kind who rids anyone in their way. Also ruthlessness and cunning should have been mentioned alot more, the villain usually gets respect from his followers through the use of fear. They all fear him and to disobey is out of the question. Cunning should be mentioned because, the villain needs to be a few steps ahead of the hero, otherwise the hero catches up and the story wraps up; that would be boring. Also never under estimate a villain whom the audience loathes and despises, sometimes a really bland and un-connectible villain is required either to FOIL the protagonist or the more relateable villain. Other than that good work  :smile:

Amazing tutorial.  Simply amazing.  It's obvious how much thought and research went into this.  (Maybe you could make money by writing a more detailed book on this?)

I don't know what else to say, but amazing.

I've been reading about things on this site, learned new techniques, getting new resources, etc. and registered to say I loved your guide.

I usually have trouble creating a good relationship between the main character and my main villain... It's like I have two clay shapes, then slowly mold them together to fit via trial and error. An analogy would be that your guide helped me to get that shape closer to the one I need the first time.

Bookmarked, thank you.

I'm new here i'm more a GW member but here's the thing.
There's a sub villain i'm making that is inspired by president shinra in FF7(not rufus,it's his dad)
I was gonna give him the kind of attitude of.
"Screw the people,it's money what makes this world go round"and

-he people actually believe in what his company promises and says.because they think they live confortable lives.

I really liked this tutorial, but there are a few villains who have absolutely no emotional reason for being a villain, and yet they are still forever loved by fans alike.

Bowser takes Peach. Mario saves Peach. There is a classic Villain that has no motive. He simply wants to kidnap Peach. In the more in-depth Mario games, such as the RPG's, Bowser's intentions are far better, but ultimately it comes down to the same thing in every Mario game. And Bowser is one of, if the not the, most popular villain of the gaming industry.

Another would be Ganondorf. He seeks power (more specifically the Triforce of Power), and Link is the Hero who can oppose him. Everyone loves Ganondorf even though his motives are the same every time. Fans go crazy when they see Ganondorf in a new Zelda game, because he is an epic villain. Not because of his emotions or feelings, but because he's an intimidating threat and the epic hero is the only one who can defeat him.

I would go on about Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog villain), but I'm gonna save that. I'm pretty sure we all know how famous Eggman is, and what he's famous for.

Although I think your tutorial is very well pieced together, the rules do not always pertain to making a memorable and loved hero.

Heck, I freakin' loved Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario. He had a deep past and story, and it did make me feel sad. This tutorial reminded me of that game.

Dang now I have the urge to go play Paper Mario again :P

Ah, I didn't know he hasn't been active, sorry.

(But it's not a useless bump if I got use out of it, which I did.  :wink:)

Nice job, read almost all of it and it has put some thoughts into my actions about what I wish to do with my own game. Nice job, you should try writing another some time (If you have the time).

boon

Sponsor

He's simply describing the types of villain. Although the three things he highlighted as being the best villians are so cliche.

Other then that, it's an okay article.

In short:
Screw reality.
Yay realistic unreality.

Erm, Seph, that's an oxymoron.

And, how exactly does Bowser fit into the categories you described? What was Bowser's REASON for kidnapping Princess Peach and all of the toads in SMB1, and what was Mario's reason for rescuing them? Oh, yeah, THERE WASN'T ONE.

Edit: Sorry for (inadvertantly) necroposting.

I want to throw out a couple of things
In Chapter IV Goals you state:
6. Obtainment of PowerSpoiler
The villains that are just after Power don't have any particular goal. They just want to obtain as much power as possible so that no one opposes them. I know it's pretty dumb, but it exists, so it had to be listed.
And again in Chapter V Reasons:
7. Power-CrazySpoiler
And finally, the villains that are just plain Power-Crazy. When you use secret codes to get the ultimate weapon, infinite health, etc., and you completely own every enemy in the game, you get this wonderful, sadistic feeling. The feeling of power.
This is actually a horrible motive for villainy, but many stereotyped villains use it, so it had to be listed.
I have to disagree with this statement,
In the George Orwell's novel 1984
the very well developed dystopian society is described as such by Goldstein Book:
Every society has a High, Middle, and Low
The High wish to remain the High
The Middle wish to become the new High
and the Low simply wish for everyone to be equal
The Middle often overthrow the High with the help of the Low, stating that things wil be equal
and then things go back to normal
what's different with the new hierachal society is that they've manage to
keep themselves as the high (the position of power) indefinately

thus ruthlessly controlling the population simply for power
and yet the Party doesn't seem flat or without personality
and with room 101 they certainly are sinister

O'Brien asserts to this with his statement
(If you don't read anything else read this)
POWER is NOT a MEANS ITS an END.

Thanx for reading, kudos on the guide
and srry for for any misquotes or juxtaposition on the part from Goldstein's book
I haven't quite memorized 1984

I agree completely - there are many stereotypical villains, but there are some villains which we can actually truly empathize with - like Takano Miyo from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Yagami Light from Death Note, Lucy (Kaede) from Elfen Lied, etc. Oh and by the way, the last two villains I mentioned were actually the protagonists. :P

Next is the least common sin. A crime that most main villains never even bother committing: Thievery. Thieves and bandits have existed since the beginning of crime. Imagine coming home and finding all of your belongings missing, never to see them again. Your furniture, your computer, your games, your TV, everything. Taken by a complete stranger.

Thievery is used solely by sub-villains. It's nowhere near as big a deal as the others. I mean, think about it. What story has there ever been where the hero travels around the world, killing monsters and solving puzzles, just to slay a nine-year-old cookie-snatcher? It's ridiculous.

A comedy game.

Hey there sweetiepie cutiepie jenkins, how 'bout you don't necropost useless one-liners? ~Tindy

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.