Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Making default attacks "elemental"

So, one of my projects uses Elementals for stuff like Slash, Blunt, and Pierce...different attacking properties.

Say I'm fighting a Wolf, it's basic attack is a scratching with it's claws (just Attack using the Claw animation) and I want it to use the "Slash" Elemental.

For a more normal instance, say I'm fighting a Water Elemental, it's basic attack is attacking with water (just using Water 1 animation) so I want it's basic attack to be water elemental.

I also want this to apply to characters, so if a character attacks without a weapon equipped, they are doing Blunt damage. Or perhaps, I have a dragon in the party, and it's weaponless attack is Slash elemental.

Going along with that, I'd like to be able to give characters attack animations (different for every character) with their default, weaponless attacks.

I'm looking for a script that does this, but I'm mostly interested in the elemental part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm...anybody interested in trying?

Or, perhaps another thing that could work (but not as well as what I'd like) would be to have a skill that does equal damage to a basic attack. I can't figure out how to do that.

Hmmm... for that, I think Trickster's Bag of Skill Effects has a skill effect that adds the skill effect to regular weapon damage. I think it could be used to make a skill that does the same damage as a regular attack. If you made a skill with that effect with a power of zero, so it would just do regular weapon damage, then put an element tag on it, it might work just like you're saying. It's obviously not the easiest answer, but it might be a good stop-gap.

It's a small modification on the 'attack_effect' method.

Oh, and say me what element(s) do you want to add. I need it(them) to help you.

(I did something similar to my project Dark God. I added the 'Physical Damage' attribute to the enemies' default attacks. Did you mean that, isn't it?)

regards from paranoyas

@sayonara-p: that sounds like what I was looking for, but I want to use lots of different elementals, but mainly stuff like Slash, Blunt, and Pierce, and stuff.

@Zafrod: I forgot about Trickster's Bag of Skill Effects, that might work for this...

Armor King 108;234637 said:
@sayonara-p: that sounds like what I was looking for, but I want to use lots of different elementals, but mainly stuff like Slash, Blunt, and Pierce, and stuff.

Well. Even if you use lots of elementals, I can use a Hash to make it friendly-configurable (<-- Is correct that expression? I want to improve my english), I think.
If you still want to do in that way, simply tell me. I will need a few more details; so, send me and PM or something if you want.

regards from paranoyas

What do you mean "more details"?

Well, like I said, I want to be able to assign elementals to each individual enemy's basic attack. Maybe something that goes like this:

Enemy ID001: Element ID12
Enemy ID002: Element ID14, ID15

Or whatever, I know very little about scripts. What I mean is, I'd like a simple way to assign element IDs to enemy's attacks, possibly giving the same enemy more than one...

I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.