Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

lets talk about obscure rpgs!!

moog

Sponsor

ok so I just wanted to make a thread to talk about rpgs that you might like or love that are obscure or that people you know havent played. stuff like suikoden is okay to list, even though its popular alot of people havent played the original 2. etc, etc.

so list your top 5 and tell us a bit about them!!

1) Eternal eyes

Ok so I found this game for 3 bucks at a target when I was 15. it's a tactical based rpg/monster breeder game. a TON of people shit all over it but honestly its one of my faves on ps1. its pretty challenging towards the end and its short, but the ost is great. if you can stomach the shitty story and super nintendo graphics is a cheap little gem youll enjoy if you like tactics rpgs.

2) guardian's crusade

OMG so many hours wasted on this game. loved the shit out of it. you play as a knight that has to return a monster baby to its mother. its difficult if you dont know what you are doing, but its really sweet and has a lot of heart. the character designs are pretty quirky too! a good little game to waste time with.

3) thousand arms

ok this game has dating sim which is seriously shit. and the battle system too is odd and annoying. but the humor was pretty goofy and the music is PHENOMENAL. the pacing picks up after a while and its fun to create your own weapons and such. a nice game to own.

4) illusion of gaia

well quite a few people have played this but not many people I personally know. this is quite possibly my favorite action rpg of all time. the music is great, graphics and story are really well done for an old school rpg. it had a prequel and sequel (skip the first one); terranigma being the sequel, an amazing follow up if not better than this one. I highly reccommend it to anyone lookin to pick up an emulator

5) tomba

there isnt much to say about this!!! i know alot of people argue that this isnt an rpg, but because of the AP score and the HP ill lump it as an action rpg. a MUST HAVE game for those who love sidescrollers. the sequel was absolute bullshit though.

so what are your fav obscure rpgs guys????

How can you hate okage?

Some GBA gems I remember were golden sun, classic and awesomely done jrpg with a interesting set of choices. Puzzlely as hell, the good kind. Never did play the ds version, but *shrugs*

Although a bit of a action rpg, the GBA versions are great: summon night swordcraft story (1 and 2). EPitome of jrpg-ness, but great games and good story. Fun and charming.

'Dungeons of dredmor is a roguelike, but technically those are a genre of RPGs. Greatly done roguelike, not the hardest thign out there but accessible, easy on the eyes, and for any none roguelike gamer it's... hard.

moog

Sponsor

holy shit I played SK:SS last summer and I fucking loved the shit out of it. the second one bored me though, it didnt have the same fun gimmicks as the first

infact the whole ost is on my iphone right now :shades:

Jason

Awesome Bro

You listed Tomba... or Tombi as it's called here, you instantly win.

And yeah, the sequel, seriously, what the actual fuck in the anus were they trying to do with it? It was... yeah.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Also, can I say Grandia II and Breath of Fire IV? Are they obscure enough? Because I loved the FUCK out of these games... bought Grandia II on a whim for less than £20 because the box art looked cool to me back then, lol, well, I asked my mam to buy it and she was like fine -.-" YAY!

As for Breath of Fire IV, I've only played it on an emulator, but jesus christ it had me hooked!

And yet I never bothered to carry on both experiences and play other games in either series...

moog

Sponsor

jason if you love grandia II play the first one. seriously it is better in EVERY WAY, not saying the first second was bad (i had it on DC and loved it) but the first is so GOOD.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Yeah, I've heard the first one is good too, never heard anyone say it's better, but that it's just as good. It's on PSN too so I could buy it and play it on my Vita...

Hmm...

moog

Sponsor

it has much more heart. ryudo is a cool main character, and its clear he was designed to be a squall wannabe but he had more human features which made him cool. but Justin (main of G1) is a kid who wants to be an adventurer. and that sounds cliche as shit, but he has SO MUCH HEART and his character development grows so much over the course of the game and he becomes a respectable figure in the games overall plot.

moog

Sponsor

:(

also alot of grandia II was just rehash from the first (ARE YOU SERIOUS SEGA) and the ost and gameplay is a bit more polished in the original

I don't think you guys have mentioned it but I loved the world ends with you. Although the battle system was something that made me want to throw my DS.

Also, Xenosaga II is great. I love it so much, it's quite hard I think with a good story!

I'm also going to go ahead and list persona.
Persona 3 is one of my favorite games, great sound track, awesome story. Although I will say that it is hard to keep track of all your social links, go to tartarus, and help Liz. (I think her name is)
I've also, been playing Persona 2. Not as good, but I still like it. The music is also, as always, epic.

Resonance of Fate is one I've been playing a lot latley. It's got great visuals and is quite challenging. The music is epic too.

Edit: I will also mention Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. It's okay, although I'm not that into the story. I preferred the first Golden Sun game.

Jason

Awesome Bro

That reminds me, I still need to play Persona 4 Golden... I've got it right here, still in the wrapper, I preordered it while playing Persona 3 Portable, lol, but I've not even finished that either... why do I start so many games and never finish them?!

united washcloth express":37pbhvn0 said:
The recycled artwork and predictable storyline held TWEWY back for me. I loved the villains though
I don't think the storyline was that bad? Surprised me at some points!
And I don't get what you mean about the artwork either...

The villains were epic though.

Secret of Evermore anybody? My favorite game, partly from nostalgia... and maybe this story: When I pretty young, maybe 10 or 11, I really liked it and was playing it some. My brother was also playing it, and encountered a glitch where in the middle of a boss fight, the save game screen popped up. Thinking "ok, sure, what the hell" he saved his game and later died or quit or something. Well that saved corrupted the game saves to where whenever you turned the game on it played it's intro but then froze on a black screen right before the load game screen should show. I remember turning the game on once a month or so after that hoping it would load this time so I could play, but it was useless: froze every time.

So maybe that did something psychologically to me to where when I finally got a working copy years later I was like "hell yeah, finally! best game ever!". But also it's a really fun game.

Also Lufia II is pretty good. The Ancient Cave in it is the coolest thing ever.

Mega Flare

Awesome Bro

Lufia The legend returns for the GBC.... fricken LOVE that game.... also I dont think any of the games hicup said counts... tooo popular.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.