Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Learning Skills Based On Chance

Basically, I'm looking for a new way for characters to learn skills in my game, while keeping each one with a unique way to do it. In a way, this would be similar to the older Wild Arms games, Wild Arms 1 and 2 to be specific.

For my first character, I want him to learn new skills by through using his old ones. He would continually use his skills, and from there, there would be a small chance during battle that he would suddenly learn a new one. He would perform this skill in battle instead of the original one you selected to show that he learned it. This is very similar to the way Kanon learned her moves in Wild Arms 2. Note that the percentage of learning a new move would start at about a medium rate and move down as you learn more.

For the next character, I want her to acquire hints about her skills in the game. This would put the skill in her list under the name of "?????". From there, she would need to use the said skill until she "mastered it." Once mastered, the "?????" would be replaced by the skill's actual name and a description of what it does. If the character successfully masters the move, the skill will be used in the process. If she fails, she will simply use a normal attack.

I know these are a bit complicated, but I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.