Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Isometric Event Positioning

Alright, now I have a question that isn't completely ignorant. :D

I am in the process of making a game based on the Mega Man Battle Network series. When I saw that I could make the characters move at a diagonal, and that I could make character sets that work with that, I was very excited. I se everything up, and then I hit a big problem.

Events don't work isometrically. Neither do tiles.

This is bad news.

If I have a diagonal wall, the player will either be able to walk real over the wall some places and not in others, or it'll seem like they're hitting an invisible jagged ridge as they move along.

How do I get past this? I would have to do an insane amount of from scratch spriting if I had to change it to a regular N-S-E-W view. It took me an entire weekend to get a town and the interior of a single house done. That's just not acceptable! Yes, things take time but that kind of pace just leads to stagnation! I need a way around this, badly. Is there anything I can do here, at all?

I assumed that since my problem is with the way RMXP works by default I would in fact need a script. Something that would let me use isometric tiling. I have no idea where to start though, or even how it might be implemented. I looked through the big script listing over the past few days for stuff I could use to make my game more polished, as well as anything of foreseeable utility value, but I saw nothing for isometric angling. Does a script for Isometric event and tileset handling exist out there already?

The tiles I would use would be stretched an extra pixel horizontally. So, whereas a 32x32 is the standard, my isometrics would be 64x32. A character moving diagonally would shift two pixels horizontally for each it shifted vertically. For example, the town tileset:

http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/EXE/ ... DC_tob.gif[/img]

I completely understand if this is an impossible request. I don't even know how I could make it work in the database when I would have to import new sets.

If anything, does someone have a script to make it so the panorama acts like a tileset? (I would use it as the background, and it wouldn't slide around when I walked) Because then I could just use blanks and make things impassible or otherwise. I wouldn't be able to make much hang over the player, but I am looking for any possible way to avoid all of the mounds of sprite work I faced in 2003.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.