Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Is this possible?

Just wanting to know if this hud/menu/input system is possible?
Ok, before I start explaining, yes I know the sprites are rtp/rips. The rips will be replaced and the rtp will be, er, improved upon.
Basically I want to create an MMO. I've read so many threads on what the failings of MMOs on rpgxp are but this is more of a personal project (MMO? personal? Oxymoron, I know).
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2677/mocklw6.jpg[/img]
So I'm sure you've all played various MMOs with a menu/hud like this. (not as crappy though, eh?)
Explanation:
A: Skill Hot key bar. Seen these in a few HUDs
B: A floating window. The item window. Clicking on a smaller icon will display the larger image (D). In the Skill window it can display the skills available. The quest window could display a list of quests or icons for quests.
C: Mouse input. I've seen mouse input with pathfinding scripts already, but I havent seen any that allow dragging of items between windows. Items onto equip window. Skills onto Skills hotbar.
D: Larger image of the highlighted item. This could be a skill or a quest image also.
E: A minimap. Ive seen em in most HUDs/ATBs I know this can be done, maybe not with the image style shown though.
F: The main menu caller. Clicking on one will bring up the corresponding window (in this case the "items" window) Mouse-over could cause it to dim or animate or some other such effect to indicate its being touched.

I realise this isnt a script request per say, but I just want to know if it can be done before I start trawling the net looking for all of the corresponding scripts. (yes I've looked on rpxps downloads, theres some but not all).

Kraft

Sponsor

Looks interesting...

The only thing that people would have a problem with would be the Mouse input and the dragging and moving ot items (such as in diablo or FATE for the inventories)

That should all be possible. Maybe the dragging could be replaced with a click-the-item, then-click-where-to-put-it kind of thing. You could change the cursor to be the icon of that item, and replace the item's icon with nothing or set it to be invisible to simulate actual dragging.
The minimap is possible. I don't know about showing the hero's charset on the map, though.
And I don't know much about using the mouse, so hovering over things may or may not be possible, either.

All of that is extremely possible, in fact, I have plans on implementing something very similar myself in my project. Though my script will be written by myself and I will not be releasing it to the public. A few scripts that may or may not help you: Alework's Input Module has features not found in the default input module, including mouse dragging and other features. Also, Trebor777's Widgets Library enables allot of cool features for windows, mainly mouse functionality as well as click and drag windows. It also utilizes Alework's Input Module.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.