Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Irregularly-shaped Areas

Is it possible to create a non-rectangular area without making a whole bunch of smaller areas to fill in the gaps? I don't want land enemies appearing in the sea, or desert enemies appearing in grassy areas. Thanks for the help.

1) I think this was already asked. (do a search)

2) You could create an event system using a parallel event / common event that tracks the players position, and generates apparently random battles accordingly. (ignoring, or extending the built-in areas & random battles)

3) The 'random battle' script could be re-written to use non-rectangular areas, or terrain type (or did this go away in VX?).
[ edit ] I just had an epiphany! If terrain is gone, you could use blank tiles from the last tileset, and have the algorithm check which specific tile is used for that map position to determine the terrain.
In which case, you should move this to Script Requests.

Be Well

1. Oh. ^^; Thanks, I'll see if I can find anything on it.
2. Hmm...sounds a bit complicated...scripting sounds cleaner, anyway.
3. I didn't know I'd actually need to use scripting...and how do I move the post?

Nate McCloud":33c6bv9t said:
3. I didn't know I'd actually need to use scripting...and how do I move the post?

That's cool.  For future reference, use the "Report to moderator" link, and type, "At first this was a general question, now I realize it should be a script request. Could you please move it for me?  Thanks."

Reg, welcome to the support staff. I had a suspicion you'd be joining us soon. Be Well

Thanks for the help, both of you. :) Also, if need be, I'll just make a few smaller areas. I'll still be getting into fights in inappropriate areas, but I'll at least be able to minimize said out-of-place fights.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.