Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Idea for new AVI script - script not inside!!!

Since my last video thread was a disaster, I'm packing ideas this time. :)

After playing around with outside API calls using the RPGXP scripting interface, I might have come upon a solution to the fullscreen, or any resolution for that matter, video problem. If it works, all I need is help scripting it.

The idea is this: in many older games, say late-90's-ish, movies were played by calling certain video players in exe format from within the game, and passing along a resolution and filename using an API call from within the game. For a moment, the cutscene would be superimposed over the game. Though the interface was sometimes slow and unwieldy, it worked.

I can't recall a particular program, but the videos were in a format that could not be easily viewed without a specific viewer, and thus were safegaurded from players viewing important late-game details.

All I'm asking at this point is this: is it possible to call an exec from within a game? I warn that you be cautious in answering (yes, really) as this could be used to distribute malware with games. If you can help, however, many thanks in advance!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.