Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[IDEA] Boss body part & defeat animation

As usual, I just come up with ideas; I don't need nor want them, but it would be nice if someone eagers to make them come true.

OK, this time my idea comes in two parts:

Part 1. Boss Body Part

In Wild ARMs 2: The Ignition, all bosses has body parts. You can attack and kill body parts for more EXP. If you only focus on killing the boss, you won't get the extra EXP, but all body parts will die as well. Body parts may behave as normal enemies, i.e. they can attack, use skills, etc..

It will be easier to understand using examples.

Example 1: Wild ARMs 2 example
A Scorpion (1000 EXP) has Tail (200 EXP). While Scorpion itself can only attack physically, its Tail may do Sting skill (which, of course, may cause poison). When Tail is destroyed, Scorpion cannot use Sting anymore. If you kill Scorpion, you only get 1000 EXP, but if you kill Tail first then finish off Scorpion, you'll get 1200 EXP.

Note that in some cases body parts cannot act independently, but instead they give abilities to the main body. So, in the example above, it may be Scorpion which perform Sting instead of its Tail.

Example 2: Extensions
To make the game more interesting and tricky, I'm thinking of any other effects when some body parts die, such as effects in enemy stats, transform in some conditions not found in Battle Events, and so on. There are many possibilities of this, combined with Battle Events.

A Robot may consist of Head, Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Foot, Right Foot, Body Armor, and Core. If you kill any of his Foot, the AGI of Robot should decrease. If you kill any of his Arm, the ATK should decrease. Head may "revive" (or should I say "repair"?) any of his "killed" (destroyed) body parts, so you might want to take out the Head as soon as possible. Body Armor will protect Core and boost Robot's DEF as well as all body parts DEF. When Core is exposed, Robot may use more devastating attacks and skills. Destroy the Core and Robot will be gone for good.

I was thinking of simply arrange body parts as normal enemies, but it couldn't give effect as the second example (you CAN target Core while you shouldn't be able to while Body Armor is still there; overall Robot stats won't change if any body parts is destroyed, and so on.). There is possibility to transform Robot into another Robot (but with different stats and different abilities) at some HP, but that means we must provide more than one Robot in the game database, which may waste up spaces. Using Battle Event, it will be executed at the beginning of any turn, which doesn't make sense (the transformation should be done immediately after any body part is destroyed).

If there are more ideas from you, just add it up.

Now the second one, which I think is the easiest (and I want this :D).

Part 2. Boss Defeat Animation

In some games (I'll take Final Fantasy VII, since the enemy defeat animation is similar to RMXP default one), boss defeat animation is different from normal enemy defeat animation. It may include longer duration, different SE, and so on.

I have defined which monsters should be the boss, so the next part is to script different defeat animation. It may be the same for all bosses, although you may expand it so each boss has its own defeat animation. I find that collapse method of RPG::Sprite handles the defeat animation, but I don't know how to edit it. I know how to change the SE for boss defeat, though.

Can anyone help for this part? Credited, of course.

That's all for now, thank you for reading this long thread. Hopefully there is someone who is willing to do this. More ideas and comments should be replied as you wish.

hmmm, I like the idea, but that can all be done through events in the fight. You don't essentially need a script, though a script would be a lot less troublesome...Though I'm not a scripter so I'm afraid I can't help.

You don?t said if you need tjis for a ABS..
So i have an Idea for the standard BS..

Just cut the Picture of the Enemy into all Parts you want. In the Database you create new Monsters ( ex: Scorpion_Tail, Scorpion_Torso )
Now go to Party ( Where you can create Monster Parties )
Now just view both Enemies, the Tail and the Body overlappt, so it looks like 1 enemy ^^

That?s all, now you can choose the Tail and the Body.. and you can kill both.

Well, I tried using battle events, but the EXP given is for all enemies, not only the main boss. I couldn't avoid this, so any suggestion using battle events?
Also, using battle event, the end battle ME starts immediately after the main part is killed, when any other parts are diminishing. It annoys I think...

And sorry, I forgot to tell you this applies to the DBS, but maybe it's a good idea for any other BS.

What about the second one? How to change the way enemy collapses using events?

Part 2. Boss Defeat Animation
Didn't Dargor make a Collapse Transitions script? I know someone made it but that's the title. You can set it up to have fades, scatters and so on.

It overlays itself on the default red-out transition and has a few other features.

Combined with Dalissa's Battle Cry which allows you to have different 'collapse' SE per actor or enemy...

Oops, this time I missed the search ^_^; no wonder I didn't search for battle cry, since what I intended is only the defeat cry... Well, it's much more than I need, but thanks for pointing me out (in fact, now you're teasing me to use individual battle cry :D)! I'll try to merge both of them for now.

Now for the first part... the EXP problem still in there...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.