Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

i need a talking and asnwers script, very importnant D:

Gimnis

did anyone played wizardry 8? in that game, when you talk to an NPC you can write some word (or choose one from a word list) and then it answers to you,

like i can say "dark sevanth" (which is the main enemy in the game) and it will answer something like
"ohh, i don't want to talk about him!"
or if i'l say "jtkrhrkrhgblrjkghrl" it will probably answer
"i did not understand you..."

what i need, is a script that when i call it, it will go to a window where you can write words, or choose from a word list... and in the script i will write the answers to every event... including an answer for words that are not in the event answer list or something like this... is there any script that does this?
or can anyone make one for me?

this is what i basiclly want:

oh, and i need an XP version :P

This is a rather interesting system, I'd like to see it scripted too.
It's not all that complicated so I even might get into it myself if I get enough free time...which has been rather nonexistent lately ><

EDIT
I just opened my old game project and realized I've been working on a similar script the last time XD wow, my memory sure is great XD
I might as well try to finish it XD
So much to do, so little time to do it XD

I'm working on your request right now, hopefully I'll have it finished by tomorrow but if not it'll be a week (hopefully not two, but with R/L lately...) As far as being able to type something in the box for "Where is..." or "Talk about..." that is going to be the most challenging part, and it'll require a Keyboard script. I faithfully always used AWorks (formerly Aleworks) by vgvgf so I hope you don't mind thats what I'll be using.

The 3 items you pointed out in your screenshot I understand and that is what I'll be working on, if there is anything further needed to be said about the request please do so now.

BTW the second object in the screenshot (the box with "People", "Places", "Items", "Misc") and the word box I'll make easy to setup/add to. All you'll have to do is...

$game_message.add_word(word, category)

Enough talk, I'm off to start this see ya later.

I'm sorry Fallen, I wasn't even paying attention that you were working on this I guess I shoulda read that XD I didn't mean to steal your thunder, I feel bad now. I won't do that to you again, I promise, that was messed up that I did that! :/

The script is half-done so far, and I'm expecting it to actually be finished by the 22nd (this upcoming Wednesday) but don't take my word for it, I'm expecting little issues that might still need to be worked out. The next step I need to do is code the Ask Question/Talk About window, which I'll be coding with AWorks Keyboard module, please tell me if theres another keyboard script you'd rather use. I've always stuck with AWorks because it is still supported and works the best (IMO) but I don't know if you already use something else.

Here's how the script works so far;

You setup your initial words (that come preset in a new game) via this module...

Code:
#===============================================================================

# ** TalkAndAnswer

#===============================================================================

module TalkAndAnswer

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * Trigger

Trigger = Input::A

# * Commands

Commands = Hash.new

Commands[1] = "People"

Commands[2] = "Places"

Commands[3] = "Things"

Commands[4] = "Misc."

Commands[5] = "All"

# * Words List

WordsList = Hash.new

WordsList[1] = ["Dark Minion"]

WordsList[2] = []

WordsList[3] = []

WordsList[4] = []

end

To add words later, you'll be doing $game_message.add_word(word, category) where word is the word and category is 1 for people, 2 for places, 3 for items, 4 for misc, etc... but obviously you can name your categories whatever you want, but they'll be represented by index not name. I'll shorten the syntax but either way it'll be handled by the $game_message class.

In order to activate the TalkAndAnswer scene, you walk up to a NPC and hit Shift (Input::A or whatever you want to set it as in the script). When you pick your word or whatever to get a response from them, then the event will activate like...

Code:
@> Conditional Branch : Script : $game_message.word == "Dark Minion"

@> Text : Oh, I don't even wanna talk about him!

@> Branch End

@> Conditional Branch : Script : $game_message.word == "Elsa"

@> Text : Yeah, I heard about her... I hope she gets

: through it. The good usually die young, its

: a damn shame!

@> Branch End

I still have bugs to work out, and I need to figure out how the setup of event responses will work. I think I'm gonna make it where each event must have a page with a certain switch/variable as a condition before it allows the scene to open, then you just put your responses on that page. If the event doesn't have a page with this condition, it just isn't going to do anything when you press Shift. (For instance, you won't be giving your Treasure/Door events this page/condition, just your NPCs).

Since this is your request, I'm open to any suggestions/changes you want me to make before I finish this. I've blabbed enough I gotta get back to work on it, see ya later.

Gimnis

woow, thanks Kain, that's awesome to see it getting worked on, take as much time as you need!

i am not using any keyboard script, so feel free to use any one that will work,
if you need i can post a list of scripts that i'm using...

the system looks really nice and easy to use! right now i can't think of anything i whould like to improve

i just got one question: can an event not only say stuff, but also do another event commands?
example:

Conditional Branch : Script : $game_message.word == "Dark Minion"
Text : Oh, I don't even wanna talk about him!
and then the event move backwards
OR
Conditional Branch : Script : $game_message.word == "Elsa"
Text : Yeah, I heard about her... I hope she gets: through it. The good usually die young, its: a damn shame!
and it plays a music

i think you got my point... can it?

and thanks for you'r help!! be sure i'll credit you and make a word "easter egg" with your name (only if you agree!)

There has been some unexpected delay in getting it finished, but nonetheless its still getting worked on. I'd estimate 2 more weeks before its finished, I'll post you the half-version right now just to let you know I'm getting down to bussiness with it. Please don't think this is final, half the script is missing and I might make minor/major changes to existing coding, just so it'll run smoother.

So far, if you're wanting to just see it so far (keep in mind this is unfinished), you'll need SDK 2.4 parts 1 & 2. To be more specific it uses these classes from SDK.

SDK::Scene_Base
Window_HorizCommand
Game_Player.update

More importantly, it'll need these methods, they're stuff I've submitted to MACL that aren't in the official version yet.

Code:
]#===============================================================================

# ** RGSS.Map

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * MACL Loading

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if Object.const_defined?(:MACL)

MACL::Loaded << 'RGSS.Map'

end

# ** Game_Map

class Game_Map

# * Name      : Events At

#   Info      : Returns an array of events at location

#   Author    : Kain Nobel

#   Call Info : Two Arguments Integer X, Y - Position to Check

#               D (Optional) Integer - Directional modifier to check

def events_at(x, y, d = 0)

events = Array.new

x += (d == 6 ? 1 : d == 4 ? -1 : 0)

y += (d == 2 ? 1 : d == 8 ? -1 : 0)

@events.each_value {|e| events << e if (e.x == x && e.y == y)}

return events

end

# * Name      : Event At

#   Info      : Returns very first event from events_at method.

#   Author    : SephirothSpawn / Kain Nobel

#   Call Info : Two Arguments Integer X, Y - Position to Check

#               D (Optional) Integer - Directional modifier to check

def event_at(x, y, d = 0)

return events_at(x, y, d)[0]

end

end
Code:

# ** RGSS.Character

class Game_Character

# * Name      : XY

#   Info      : Returns @x and @y properties to array.

#   Call Info : None

def xy

return [self.x, self.y]

end

# * Name      : XYD

#   Info      : Returns @x, @y and @direction properties to array.

def xyd

return [self.x, self.y, self.direction]

end

# * Name      : Next X

#   Info      : Returns next X coord for facing direction

#   Call Info : Direction is the direction character is facing

def next_x(d = self.direction, steps = 1)

return (self.x + (steps * (d == 6 ? 1 : d == 4 ? -1 : 0)))

end

# * Name      : Next Y

#   Info      : Returns next Y coord for facing direction

def next_y(d = self.direction, steps = 1)

return (self.y + (steps * (d == 2 ? 1 : d == 8 ? -1 : 0)))

end

# * Name      : Next X/Y

#   Info      : Returns next X & Y coord for facing direction (to an array)

def next_xy(d = self.direction, steps = 1)

return [self.next_x(d, steps), self.next_y(d, steps)]

end

# * Name      : Events Front

#   Info      : Returns all events on same tile

def events_here

return $game_map.events_at(*self.xy)

end

# * Name      : Events Front

#   Info      : Returns all events on tile front

def events_front

return $game_map.events_at(*self.xyd)

end

# * Name      : Events Behind

#   Info      : Returns all events on tile behind

def events_behind

d = case self.direction

when 2 then 8

when 4 then 6

when 6 then 4

when 8 then 2

end

return $game_map.events_at(self.x, self.y, d)

end

# * Name      : Events Left

#   Info      : Returns all events on tile to left hand of self

def events_left

d = case self.direction

when 2 then 6

when 4 then 2

when 6 then 8

when 8 then 4

end

end

# * Name      : Events Right

#   Info      : Returns all events on tile to right hand of self

def events_right

d = case self.direction

when 2 then 4

when 4 then 8

when 6 then 2

when 8 then 6

end

end

# * Name      : This Event

#   Info      : Returns 'event_here' or 'event_front' or nil

def this_event

return self.event_here unless self.event_here.nil?

return self.event_front

end

# * Name      : Event Here

#   Info      : Returns very first event from 'events_here'

def event_here

return self.events_here[0]

end

# * Name      : Event Front

#   Info      : Returns very first event from 'events_front'

def event_front

return self.events_front[0]

end

# * Name      : Event Behind

#   Info      : Returns very first event from 'events_behind'

def event_behind

return self.events_behind[0]

end

# * Name      : Event Left

#   Info      : Returns very first event from 'events_left'

def event_left

return self.events_left[0]

end

# * Name      : Event Right

#   Info      : Returns very first event from 'events_right'

def event_right

return self.events_right[0]

end

end
Code:

# ** TalkAndAnswer

module TalkAndAnswer

# * Trigger

Trigger = Keys::O

# * Commands

Commands = Hash.new

Commands[1] = "People"

Commands[2] = "Places"

Commands[3] = "Things"

Commands[4] = "Misc."

Commands[5] = "All"

# * Words List

WordsList = Hash.new

WordsList[1] = ["Dark Minion", "Elsa"]

WordsList[2] = []

WordsList[3] = []

WordsList[4] = []

end

# ** Game_Temp

class Game_Temp

# * Public Instance Variables

attr_accessor :talking_and_answering

# * Alias Listings

alias_method :talkandanswer_gmtemp_initialize, :initialize

# * Object Initialization

def initialize

talkandanswer_gmtemp_initialize

@talking_and_answering = false

end

end

# ** Game_Message

class Game_Message

attr_accessor :current_category

attr_accessor :current_word

def initialize

@current_category = 1

@current_word     = ''

@words_list       = TalkAndAnswer::WordsList

end

# * $game_message.add_word

def add_word(word, category)

unless @words_list.include?(word)

@words_list[category] << word

end

@words_list.sort! unless @adding_multiple_words

end

# * $game_message.delete_word

def delete_word(word, category = nil)

if category.nil?

@words_list.each_key do |i|

@words_list[i].delete(word)

end

return

end

@words_list[category].delete(word)

end

# * $game_message.add_words

def add_words(words, category)

@adding_multiple_words = true

words.each {|word| add_word(word, category)}

@adding_multiple_words = false

@words_list.compact!

end

# * $game_message.delete_words

def delete_words(words, category = nil)

words.each {|word| delete_word(word, category)}

end

# * $game_message.start_message

def start_message

unless $scene.is_a?(Scene_Map)

$scene = Scene_Map.new

end

$game_player.this_event.start

end

# * Words In Category

def words_in_category?(category = @current_category)

words = Array.new

if category.nil?

@words_list.each_key do |key|

@words_list[key].each {|word| words << word}

end

else

@words_list[category].each {|word| words << word}

end

return words

end

end

# ** Game_Player

class Game_Player < Game_Character

# * Alias Listings

alias_method :talkandanswer_gmplayer_updateacttrigger, :update_action_trigger

# * Update Action Trigger

def update_action_trigger

if Input.trigger?(TalkAndAnswer::Trigger)

Scene_TalkAndAnswer.new(self.this_event)

return

end

talkandanswer_gmplayer_updateacttrigger

end

end

# ** Window_TnA_Commands

class Window_TnA_Command < Window_HorizCommand

def initialize

commands = Array.new

commands << "Word List"

commands << "Sort!"

commands << "Ask Question?"

super(640, commands)

end

end

# ** Window_TnA_Words

class Window_TnA_Words < Window_Command

attr_accessor :words

def initialize

super(160, $game_message.words_in_category?)

self.x = 640 - (self.width + 100)

self.y = 64

self.height = 224

self.active = false

end

end

# ** Scene_TalkAndAnswer

class Scene_TalkAndAnswer < SDK::Scene_Base

def initialize(event)

unless event.nil?

@event = event

$scene = self

end

end

# * Main Window

def main_window

@window_command   = Window_TnA_Command.new

@window_words     = Window_TnA_Words.new

#@window_sort      = Window_TnA_Sort.new

#@window_questions = Window_TnA_Questions.new

super

end

# * Main Spriteset

def main_spriteset

@spriteset = Spriteset_Map.new

super

end

# * Back To Command

def back_to_command

$game_system.se_play($data_system.cancel_se)

@window_command.active = true

case @window_command.index

when 0 ; @window_words.active     = false

#when 1 ; @window_sort.active      = false

#when 2 ; @window_questions.active = false

end

end

# * Update

def update

super

if @window_command.active

update_command

return

elsif @window_words.active

update_words

return

#elsif @window_sort.active

#  update_sort

#  return

#elsif @window_questions.active

#  update_questions

#  return

end

end

# * Update Command

def update_command

if Input.trigger?(Input::C)

update_command_decision

return

elsif Input.trigger?(Input::B)

update_command_cancel

return

end

end

# * Update Words

def update_words

if Input.trigger?(Input::B)

back_to_command

return

elsif Input.trigger?(Input::C)

update_words_decision

return

end

end

# * Update Sort

def update_sort

back_to_command

return

update_sort_decision

return

end

end

# * Update Questions

def update_questions

back_to_command

return

update_questions_decision

return

end

end

# * Update Command : Cancel

def update_command_cancel

$game_system.se_play($data_system.cancel_se)

$scene = Scene_Map.new

end

# * Update Command : Decision

def update_command_decision

$game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)

case @window_command.index

when 0 ; @window_words.active     = true

#when 1 ; @window_sort.active      = true

#when 2 ; @window_questions.active = true

end

@window_command.active = false

end

# * Update Words : Decision

def update_words_decision

$game_message.current_word = @window_words.command

$scene = Scene_Map.new

@event.start

end

# * Update Sort : Decision

def update_sort_decision

@window_sort.update_word_list

end

# * Update Question : Decision

def update_question_decision

end

end

# ** Scene_Title

class Scene_Title < SDK::Scene_Base

# * Alias Listing

alias_method :talkandanswer_scntitle_commandnewgame, :command_new_game

# * Command New Game

def command_new_game

talkandanswer_scntitle_commandnewgame

$game_message = Game_Message.new

end

end

# ** Scene_Save

class Scene_Save < Scene_File

# * Alias Listing

alias_method :talkandanswer_scnsave_writesavedata, :write_save_data

# * Read Save Data

def write_save_data(file)

talkandanswer_scnsave_writesavedata(file)

Marshal.dump($game_message, file)

end

end

# ** Scene_Load

class Scene_Load < Scene_File

# * Alias Listing

alias_method :talkandanswer_scnload_readsavedata,  :read_save_data

# * Read Save Data

def read_save_data(file)

talkandanswer_scnload_readsavedata(file)

$game_message = Marshal.load(file)

end

end

You can basically do whatever you normally can with an event, just enclose it within a scripted conditional branch (like I showed above). There's alot of workaround though until I come up with a cleaner eventing-scheme for this, I'm thinking of making Comments in place of the Conditional "Branch : Script" scheme like the example...

@> Comment : T&A START
@> Comment : Dark Minion
@> Text : Blah, Dark Minion, he's ugly!
@> Play SE : "Fart Noise", 100, 50
@> Comment : Elsa
@> Text : Ooh, Elsa... what a hottie!
@> Play SE : "Whistle Noise", 100, 100
@> Comment : T&A END
@> Text : So long as I'm not between T&A
: START and T&A End, I'll do whatever
: normally happens
@> Text : when you hit the action button.

These shortcut calls are probably going to be the most difficult of everything to code (only because I'm rusty on event/interpreter-coding), but I need to do them anyways so this is what I'm gonna be spending the most time on in the end. The biggest thing that needs to be done is "Comment : T&A END" will ensure that $game_message.word = nil, then the rest of your event will run normal (not based off T&A).

On a side note, I'm working on a new Mouse Windows script based off AWorks, since I'm using that for your script anyway I'll probably post that seperate but you'll be able to use it with this script.

The script isn't finished (I just posted it so the requester knows that its half done), but in the end I'm probably either going to remove all SDK or make a seperate non-SDK version. There's still two windows and some Event/Interpreter code that I have to work on before it is final though, so please be patient.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.