Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Hotmail and mail related issues

jamie

This covers several mail (and support) related issues and is important. Please read it. ALL OF IT. I didn't type it for fun, love (unfortunately), or money.

For people with short attention spans, the four points are:
1. Don't use Hotmail accounts when registering here.
2. Don't contact admin@slacked.org, or <random-staff-nick>@slacked.org, or abuse@slacked.org for RMXP support, it's for IRC/hosting support.
3. Don't mark RMXP mail as spam, ever. Get someone to delete your account instead.
4. Don't use bogus email addresses when registering.

I've tried everything under the sun to get Hotmail to stop sending Slacked/RMXP mail straight to the Junk folder, including signing up for their Sender ID program. Nothing works. Unless you're all willing to donate thousands of dollars so we can bribe Hotmail to accept our mail through their bulk sender program we're out of luck.

Note: Everyone else, including AOL and Yahoo, do not have issues with our mail. Just Hotmail. (So far anyway)

Therefore, please do NOT use Hotmail to sign up for an account here. If you do and it doesn't work, don't whine at me about it. You can use anything except Hotmail and it will (generally) work, if it doesn't you can scream at me and I'll try and fix it if I can.

Please do NOT contact admin@slacked.org about issues with validating your RMXP account. Or anything else related to RMXP.org, it's not there to field support requests for RMXP - it's there for IRC and hosting related stuff.

If you haven't got your validation mail and you signed up using Hotmail, check your Junk folder. It's in there. If it isn't, complain to Hotmail, not me.

If you register, please don't use bogus email addresses. It won't work. You need to use a valid email address so that you can receive the message which contains the validation url. If you're worried about privacy, use a freemail account (except for Hotmail obviously). If you're really paranoid, it's simple - don't create an account.

One other thing - do NOT EVER, EVER mark RMXP mail as spam, if you do you will be hunted down and subjected to shadow singing non-stop for the next 365 days. If you do this on a platform like AOL's you may cause our mail to AOL to be tempfailed for a day or two, this really inconveniences everybody else and makes our lives generally more difficult.

We have an scomp feed through AOL (they tell us when our mail gets marked as spam), if you mark RMXP (or Slacked) mail as spam, we'll know about it and we'll remove your account - not maliciously (er.. honest), we'll assume you don't want any further mail from RMXP. Signing up to RMXP and marking your welcome message as spam is just a non-application of brain cells. Please use your brain.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

-j

P.S. I'm really not passive aggressive, honest.

It's a sad day when we have to keep reminding people not to mark a COMMUNITY as spam.

OOC, why do you have member status and are posting like a mod?

Jamie is a slacked server administrator, he takes care of a lot of our hosting issues as well as the irc but isn't a part of the RMXP forum community itself.

Bael

You say not to use hotmail, but I did and I am receiving messages just fine.  None of them have come in as junk.  Oh well, I guess I'm lucky?

jamie

Bael":1qji2602 said:
You say not to use hotmail, but I did and I am receiving messages just fine.  None of them have come in as junk.  Oh well, I guess I'm lucky?

Probably. I don't pretend to know how Hotmail ascertains whether a message is spam (they don't make any of their reasoning public).

Out of curiosity, what are your junk settings?

Bael

Umm, my junk settings are just whatever hotmail default is.  I never touched it.  It's set at "standard", I don't even know where to look to see what is considered spam. O.o

*Marks RMXP.org as spam on Gmail*

Just kidding. :)

Sorry to hear you're having those problems. Perhaps it's something about the way the emails are crafted. Typically, Web site emails are junked more frequently than email->email. It's much to do about the optional settings in PHP, but I don't think anyone's perfected it yet.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.