Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Help with a custom battle system.

Stew

Hi all.

I'm gathering resources and such for a project and while I've managed to score some great artwork, music and etc, I'd like to also have a custom battle system. Unfortunately, I'm not even a novice scripter. As such I was hoping to find some help.

My battle system isn't altogether too complicated. It's turn-based for one so I wouldn't require any ATB elements. The basic idea is to try and make combat more realistic by integrating things like stamina and armor a bit differently into combat.

The characters in your party won't just have an HP meter that is damaged while they fight. They'll also have stamina points that are depleted as the enemy attacks (it requires stamina to dodge and block attacks in real life) and armor points that come into play once you run out of stamina. If you run out of armor points you'd THEN expose your hit points (representing actual damage to your body) to the enemy.

Stamina points could also be depleted by performing special moves. My hope is to force the player to balance their party's fatigue. Ie, making them think about whether or not they should use that special attack when the resulting loss in stamina might leave them too weak to defend themselves and in turn expose their character to potentially fatal bodily harm.

There would be ways to restore SP and AP in battle via items and actions, but the player would still need to think about their actions before they carried them out.

I've created a crude mockup of how such a battle might play out:

f9jrck.jpg

In this picture the character and enemy face off.

1zqa42u.jpg

The enemy attacks the player. The player blocks the attack, costing them five stamina points.

2cmvjax.jpg

The player attempts a Special Move, costing them 20 stamina points.

28jjiu.jpg

The enemy attacks again. Since the player now has no stamina points left to dodge/block the attack, it damages their armor and costs them armor points.

n39l34.jpg

The player attacks. Their attack connects draining both the enemy's stamina and armor points. With those depleted, the leftover damage drains some of the enemy's HP.

If anyone thinks they could help I'd be incredibly grateful. I'd of course offer full credit in the project and perhaps a bit of financial compensation if necessary. Be forewarned, it's out of pocket and I'm not a wealthy fellow so it won't be much.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.