Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Help My Brain Not Explode

Fayte

Sponsor

I'm trying to figure out how to event a scenario where an ominous voice is asking the player questions and he asks them what they are. at this moment I want a three pictures to pop up with their 'description' underneath them like this mock up image I drew in paint.

ndleex.png

I want it so that as the player is making their selection they highlight.

I tried looking for a tutorial on this, but there aren't any... so I tried to take what I learned from making an evented CMS and put it into what I needed but I'm not getting good results.

2jbo587.png

Halp?

What results are you getting with this?

What I'd do is have a page set up the images, then activate a self switch which changes the page to your update loop that moves the selection image based on the control variable and have the control variable change in exactly the way you have it. Then detect when the confirm button is pressed and activate the next self switch and throw in a new page.

Fayte

Sponsor

So I had that same exact idea and I'm not even sure if I'm doing this right, but I made a separate event that's supposed to just show the pictures.
2i1ioaw.png

Then since it starts off in the middle with a highlighted picture I told it what to do depending if the player clicked left or right.
okzw9e.png

Then assuming the player clicked left first I made this page.
2wg5abn.png

But no matter what I do or what I change I always get syntax error right when the game loads. I turned off the text that's supposed to pop up before all this for testing purposes. It's supposed to lead up to this character selection screen.

It might be easier if you used multiple events.
1 event that initializes the Pictures and sets the Menu Index variable. Then erases itself.

The main event , parallel process, is the control event. L R U D buttons increase or decrease the Index variable from 1-3. If if goes over 3 it jumps back to 1. Less then 1, jumps to 3.
Index%20Control_zpsiz6kynpc.png~original

Call a common event that updates the Picture Processing.
Picture%20Update_zps2ujqcqk0.png~original

In this case, when it's not highlighted the picture is scaled down to 75% with a little more than half opacity. (Don't wait for completion)

What it should look like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1bh1qwgc21qn ... t.avi?dl=0

Fayte

Sponsor

2 questions;

1. Why is there a wait if 10 seconds?
2. Where is there an 'else' picture movement?

I guess I should have specified that I'm using MV. Not sure if that matters or not.

Edit: disregard question 2.. I didn't see the text below.

Not 10 seconds, 10 frames.
If the player presses an arrow button, it'll ignore inputs for 10 frames. It's really sensitive otherwise. The computer could cycle through 3 numbers in an instant and you don't know where it'll be at once they lift their finger. This just adds a reasonable delay so that it the player can see it's gone to the next position if they keep holding the button down.

The Else means, it's either highlighted or not.

Fayte

Sponsor

I got it! It all worked! Thanks, man! I remember when I started using this program as a kid I couldn't grasp variables to save my life, but as I was trying to figure this out.. it all started to kinda just click.

Fayte

Sponsor

So I figured out how to get it to select a character, but how do I make it so that the common event goes away after the selection was made?

I'm assuming you have a conditional branch like:
When Player presses 'X'
SFX - Confirm
Message "Are you sure? Yes | No"
Erase Pictures
Then I imagine you'd follow that by either transfer to a new map or turn a SelfSwitch on and start a different selection process on new Event Page.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.