Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

hearthstone

anyone else playing HEARTHSTONE ? :thumb:

its a really sweet online card game. it's like magic the gathering, but faster paced and a lot less complicated. it has a pretty big following now, and it's still in closed beta.

there are nine classes, and each class as a special ability that they can use once a turn. for example, the mage can do 1 damage to any target. the warlock can draw an extra card at the price of 2 life points. the paladin creates a little soldier minion. etc. each class also has access to class-specific cards as well as the general cardpool of neutral cards.

its a really pretty game, too. when you're playing the game, each card has its own little sound effects and even little voiced one-liners. it's cute and does a good job of just being plain fun, while still having a lot of strategy. but it's suuuper easy to learn the game and start playing right away.

hearthstone_new-cards.jpg

its free to play. you can pay for extra cards and packs and stuff (which i've done, because im really enjoying it), but you can also earn in-game gold by playing so you dont really need to pay money to get the good cards.

ss5-full.jpg

so come on is anyone else playing this sweet game :box: :box: :box:

Spoo

Sponsor

I legit mean to try this eventually, but I have a problem. If I start getting into the meta of something, especially card games, I sink waaay too much time into that shit. Money as well. Happened with MTG a couple of years ago.

Still, Hearthstone looks rad, even with the microtransactions.

I'm bookmarking this because I fully intend to try it. I <3 card games and this looks really cool. Right now I'm trying to work on my January Blues project and I'm still obsessed with Skyrim, but this will happen! >:3

This looks pretty damn great! Perhaps I should get into it.
I could never get truly into mtg cause there weren't enough people around me that played it.
Although micro transactions eehhhhhhg. I just hope it's not pay to win...

I remember hearing something about this on a web cast. The people playing for free don't stand a chance against people who paid for cards or something. It was a question of how much of the game is skill and how much of it is having good cards. But that was a long time ago, I'm kinda surprised that it's still in beta.

coyotecraft":38xmey9q said:
I remember hearing something about this on a web cast. The people playing for free don't stand a chance against people who paid for cards or something. It was a question of how much of the game is skill and how much of it is having good cards. But that was a long time ago, I'm kinda surprised that it's still in beta.
Wow... I think I'd just rather not then.
I have a huge hatred for companies that make their games pay to win.
+ I heard it's made by the same people who did adventure quest and I don't have a high opinion of those guys.
Mostly because the only encounter I've had with adventure quest is back in college when I saw a guy playing it and our conversation went thusly:
Me "Oh hey. What you playing?"
Him "Yeah. It's a really cool rpg. I'm second in the world" (Firstly. Leader boards uuuhg)
Me "Ah I see. To be honest I prefer rpgs like final fantasy"
Him "Oh I don't play any of that new shit." LOLWAT. LOOL WAAAT!!!

Just wanted to point out that this game is made by Blizzard, the same creator of games like Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft. I also disagree that it's pay to win; naturally, those who pay real money get booster packs quicker, but everything currently is obtainable just by playing for free. Yes, it takes a while to grind out the gold/materials, but it isn't as bad as most free-to-play games. Collecting is also the same as every card game though, so unfortunately it always ends up being a huge time sink.

However, it's in open beta now, so you can always just try it and stop if you don't like it. No harm done :D

It's not pay to win.

Maaaybe it's pay to win a little faster. You can get cards without paying money, you just have to grind through the daily quests and stuff to earn in-game gold. It's possible to get every card without buying anything with real money. Real money just makes it go faster.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.