Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Guardian Angel

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Im trying to make a serious game...

- Finishing the storyline.
- Finishing Battle system
- Starting on mapping

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Characters

mygamescharacters.png

SARAH
- An apprentice mage who is only starting to grasp here awakening magic abilities
- Able to use destructive and healing magic.
- struggles to do what seems to be the right thing at the time.
- short tempered for unfairness

KATE
- Kind of a comedic relief.
- often curious, mischievous, or baby like when caught.
- Thief + Beserker (but only when soaked with water)

ALEX
- The Swordsmen
- able to use holy and unholy melee attacks
- doesn't like to talk about self.

AMY
- A Love Struck Elf girl. (to the only male character in the party)
- kind of a airhead
- Archer
- CAN'T use magic like other elves, but no one really cares.
(used her free time to sharpen her archery skills)

PRINCESS ???? (still thinking of name)
- Kind hearted glasses girl.
- Automail Limbs, like Full metal alchemist but all 4.
- only fights in self defence but the automail increases
her strength immencely so she holds most of it back.
(for fear of hurting people)

VERONICA
- Princess ???? Guardian Knight
- Serious, Knowledgeable, powerful
- Lance and arm shield.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Story

The story revolve around a specific group of adventurers who uncover
an Evil Plot and need to stop the bad guy... (Typical)

The only I have for you is to be much more prepared before you start getting involved with the programming. You need to(or at least should) know exactly what you doing as the story is concerned.

Hey, this forum is for projects that have started development. This looks like it's still in the concept stage, so I'm gonna punt it over to CD. Good luck, etc.!

Let me first say that your characters are awesome. They are not only awesome as characters, some of them has really cool battle concepts. The Thief/Berserker combo for example, sounds really cool. Your characters really makes me want this project will fly.

About the story, if you have the player spend a lot of time at the first town, you need to do a good job at characterizing the town. Unless the town is interesting, the player will want to leave it ASAP for greener and more interesting pastures.

It's kind of hard to help you without actually writing the whole plot for you considering the little information we got. I'll try to throw in a few tips though.

You want the main character to meet the other three characters along the delivery quest. I suggest you have the cat-girl join up very soon. A Thief/Berserker is a perfect complement to a Black/White mage. She's a thief, so maybe she stole something and is afraid of pursuers and want to use Sarah to protect her? Sarah is on a potion delivery quest and Kate could claim that she is on, say, a fur delivery quest, where the fur is of course stolen and she wants to pawn it off to a shady business man.

Amy is easy to get into the party if you can get Alex there. It still pays to think more about what motivates her other than Alex. As for Alex, you definitely need to think more about what motivates him. Don't just think about what would motivate him to join the party, think about what motivates him period. Chance is you will then have an easier time to come up with a reason for him to join.

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

have you already seen my YOUTUBE CHANNEL??? :haha:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Listugujboy1?feature=mhw5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE FIRST TOWN IS INTERESTING...
& I put a lot of work into it (still fiddling with the map)

- I have Kids playing Hide & Seek (1 kid is found the further you proceed)
- a recently married couple (lazy guy/whiny wife)
- HARD working farm family
- you and your grandfather
- a man with no job who is JUST getting by (has a son who doesn't know)
- resteraunt
- INN

Im GREAT at eventing so depending on what the Main character is doing @ that moment ALL characters have NEW Dialoge the further you proceed.

I have a few hidden Items (can easily be seen)
and even a Secret Item (requires a specific event to happen)

So you can skip everything and JUST do the chores or you can talk to people and see funny scenes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- You DO meet the Cat girl first
- She TRICKS YOU into distracting a guy in order TO STEAL from him.
- HE TAKES you "PACKAGE" and will only give it back if you get his thing back. :crazy:
- You have to fight the cat girl.

She was just hungry
It was originaly food, but I like your idea of PAWNING an item off.

I don't have a Vid up for it yet, but Sarah and Kate are kinda take prisoner by Amy and Alex...

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Old habit...
I used this to Emphasies or at least say that "THIS" word is important.
does it really matter in the end??? Whaa... ya wanna fight about it? :box:

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

For my story I thought I would add a Self Righteous group of heroes.
(not the main Characters)

- The Handson Self-Confident Warrior Hero. (Leader)
- A Beautiful and Busty Female (Full of herself)
- An old serious Mage (Grumpy)
- A Mischievous Rouge... (Enough said)

They start out as a Famous Group Renowned through out the land.
Turns out they are the ones STARTING the mischief. Main heroes
find out and (of course) they fight each other.

I know It's been done...but Unfortunetly it's something rather
hard to stay away from considering everything has already
been done before.

Thula

Are those characters you'd be intersted in, if they were featured in other people's games?

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

I suppose I should change My charaters traits to MANLY and SEXY...

Thula":3f4ar4g7 said:
Are those characters you'd be intersted in, if they were featured in other people's games?

I'm more interested in playing other peoples games... :lol:

Personaly I don't think there are any bad traits.
just my characters will be OVER confident,
into themselves, and just big jerks.

Just remember that Anyone can be a hero.

not just the beautiful... :wink:

Did you figure out a way to glue the scenes together?

Anyway, when is the player supposed to find out that the former heroes are the bad guys? If you make the supposed heroes big jerks who are into themselves, the player will call it immediately. This goes double if every other NPC kisses their asses.

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Crystalgate":1de3vvac said:
Did you figure out a way to glue the scenes together?.

What I wrote in my first post... yes + a little extra.

Crystalgate":1de3vvac said:
If you make the supposed heroes big jerks who are into themselves, the player will call it immediately. This goes double if every other NPC kisses their asses.

Kinda hard to avoid but maybe I'll makeit so the rouge and mage are at fault... MAYBE. like I said It's really hard to avoid things like that.

Main Heroes = (1)
Fake Heroes = (2)

Here what I was thinking... (1) are traveling along when they come to a city that is under attack by a monster. after easily defeating it, (2 arrive on the scene saying that ready to battle the EVIL monster. Thought the crowd is happy they (2) are there, they tell that (1) have already saved them. a bit surprised (2) look at (1) and have a good chuckle.

They make fun of (1) saying that they don't look much like heroes (Stereo types)...

Alex - not MANLY looking.
Sarah - Shouldn't be messing with element magic, not big enough Bust.
Amy - feels that she fits the discription of a rouge. (small + weak)
Kate - thinks is (1)'s Pet... need to be kept on a leash.

I want to make it so (2) will probably annoy you... while praising themselves.

- stay there for the night -

a small scene where Kate sees the (2) rouge running off in the night. The next morning MORE of the same monster are back attacking the village.

As for how they find out...
Im still thinking about it...

zchin

Sponsor

uh oh, you need some serious help...

I noticed you said that you can't make some resources, you can but you will need to practice a lot, just make the best you can and post it on the internet so it can be critiqued until it looks decent, and do you think you can edit your first post so it doesn't have the important words in all caps, it's bothering me :sad: Oh, and to get a title for the game, you will have to finish the story to find out, but otherwise, you can get an ever changing title like I do.

Ok, first things first, when creating a story, you need to either make the world the player is in or the main conflict in a game, you can make the conflict before or after making the world, in some cases you don't need a world, but usually you need to explain things unless it's just basic knowledge...

Remember that even though everything has already been done before, you have to try and find the things that are done the least for it to be original. Also, it's easier to start off with creating one character, preferably before you start the story. You don't need four(4) main characters and the main character doesn't need to be a guy.

When creating a story, think about how your game is going to stick out, like what kind of monsters are going to be there, what kingdom or group of people are going to rule the world (communist, democracy, fair, totally insane, power hungry).

The rest I can't really explain, I'll give some points on the development on this rather cliche story idea.

~ Create character
Arsheana
Class: Fighter
Teased about her name she is somewhat high tempered and violent, she has to work when she was young because her parents got sick with a disease. If you don't get her mad then she's a pretty nice person.

~ Creat World
Fantasy world, ruled by the divine holy kingdom called "The Divine Holy Kingdom". Kingdom and towns surrounding it are surrounded by a massive forest full of goblins, orcs, and griffins.

~ Main Conflict
The Kingdom is running out of food and is going into a famine, and Arsheana has to find the four crystals in the forest because legend has it that it can open up a portal that can transport you to any place in the world. Arsheana has been hired by the Divine Holy Kingdom as a knight to go find it, putting her into a squad of soldiers.

~ Create Soldiers

~ Create dungeons

~ Create list of events

1. All characters become friends
2. Griffins attack and take all the soldiers away except four, Arsheana and 3 other people
3. Group of four seek revenge and attack the griffin base, and find the crystal.
4. Group goes to each enemy base and retrieves crystal
5. Happy ending.

So you don't need 4 main characters, but try not to make them a mage, cleric, warrior, and rogue, stay away from crystals unless you find a good way to put them into the game that won't be cliche.

I hope this really long post has helped you somewhat, if you don't understand a part I will elaborate for you.

Thank you and have a great day!

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Well I fixed the OP up a bit... hows that?

and well, my first main character is a girl.
and out of those 6 main characters there
is only 1 guy. :grin:

As for the story, from what I have in my head,
I got a gist for what the world will be like, but
so far I don't have a main conflicts or any
motivations for the characters.

let alone anything that would make it stick out. :down:

I haven't built up the credentials where people would know who I am to trust me on this, but here's what I do.

1. Music (32 track soundtrack, 2 cds 16 tracks per cd)
-------- This could be first or second.

2. Story -
----- a. Characters
----- b. Summary Script
----- c. Script

3. All Visuals and Game Design
-------- Once the soundtrack and story are completely 100% done, start thinking about graphics and game design, what game making engine you would do it in and all that. Step three is getting the story and music out to the world through the visual artwork. It'll basically be "A game based on this novel." at this point.

That's how I do my project, it's always been fun, I've never missed a day, and I really love working on it. (It's always inspiring) I like getting the story done first. It's a fun way of going about it.

Not the best way for everyone, but story and music are most inspiring for me. Otherwise, just follow what's most inspiring to you, and don't rush anything. Take your time and do everything at a snails pace, relaxing and having fun.

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

I had another Idea for a character... when it comes to Magic the moves are nothing new.

I was thinking of adding a magic user that specificly changes characters / Montsers Stats.

Allies: +spd, +Def , + ATK , Ect...
Enemies: -spd, -Def , -ATK , Ect...

but she doesn't use any magic that Heals or does any damage.

What do you think?

How good are you at balancing? Offensive and healing skills are almost always useful, but stat ups and stat downs can be rendered useless if the creator doesn't get the balance right. I would suggest scrapping the idea unless you're confident you know what you're doing. A few guidelines though.

Battles has to last at least three turns for stat ups to really be worthwhile. Less than that and it won't pay to spend one turn buffing instead of immediately attacking.

Defensive buffs has to be either multi target or there has to be an aggro system or something else that lets the player predict who's going to be hit. Nobody wants to boost one character's defense and just hope the enemies decides to hit that one instead of someone else.

Stat downs are only useful against enemies who are a credible threat. Also, if stat downs are single target, they will need a strong enemy to be interesting. For example, if you have an enemy encounter with one strong enemy and two weak ones, the player may be interested in using a stat down on the strong one. Against five enemies of equal strength though, the player is not going bother with a stat down that only affects one of them.

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Ive been really thinking about my battle system and even though I know nothing
about scripting this is what I would like it to be like if it 100% finished

Limit Breaks

- I know there is a limit break script, But What I want is kinda different.
I want them to be available at certain point in the story, or if a certain battle condition was met.

In the course of the story, Sarah will be taugh about "Bursting" and "Focusing" by another mage.

-BURST MODE-

When Sarah is in burst mode, (Spells power are lowered a little) when she cast a spell,
it'll effect all Enemies (agressive) or all Allies (Supportive) on the field.

-FOCUS-

While Sarah is Focusing, (speed is lowered by half) all spells cast are greatly increased. (damage, healing)

but after 5-7 turns have past, she will be forced to rest for a turn or two. (taking a break)
Kate's Limit break will be available at anytime in the game, HOWEVER, it will only activate if she is dowst with water.

- Feline fury -

Feline fury is basically "Beserk" Attack & Speed increases, you just can't control what actions she preforms.

but unlike a simple Berserk, with every water spell that effects her, she gets more and more powerful.

I will have several lvls depending on what lvl she is actually at.

Lvl 1 - 15
Cat - 20% increase to attack & speed stats

Lvl 16 - 30
Cougar 40%

Lvl 35 - 50
Lion 60%

Lvl 50 +
Tiger - 80%

just to add some strategy to it, whoever cast the spell will be the side she attacks, so don't think
if you cast it, it'll help you.
Haven't thought of one yet...
This one I will let available right away as well, however She will have this ability
for 1 - 15 turns, so if you are unlucky it will last for a single turn.

She will gain 65% increase is speed for this...

Each ability gives Amy powerful moves she can use, but after she uses one, she will need to redo the process

Quick draw - gives a list of abilities that further increases her speed for quick use.
Falcon's eye - gives a list of abilities that will do severe damage.
Multi draw - gives a list of abilities that will hit all targets.
(maybe more later)
This one I think I will increase her counter attack up to 75 - 80% rate.
Haven't thought of one yet...

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

In a flash back, the princess explains she suffered sever damage to all her limbs in an explosion, Crippling her Permently.

The castles mage, created automail Limbs for her (think Full Metal Alchemist)which are fueled by natural magic she gives off.

Under normal conditions she is fine, "the rate of magic absorbed / the rate of Magic Regeneration" is perfectly evend out.

but when she is in a fights, she'll use up more energy the what she is naturally generating.

IN game I will try and event it so:

- She will slowly use up MP in battle.
- If she attacks, she uses up MORE MP.
- If she Defends, she will gain a small amount back
- If she reaches 0 MP, she will be unusable for a turn
and be given a set amount of MP back, next turn.

These amounts will be very small, but add up during stalled out battles.

Throwing some advice out there, you're through and design process is way to scattered around. You're working on battle systems before you even have fleshed out characters, a world, or even the story. It might be better to stop thinking about all of those things at once, and just work on one of the narrative elements until its fully developed into something more than bullet points.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.