Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Good Omens

*Potential spoilers ensue*

We've all read at least one angels versus demons apocalyptic parody, right?

You haven't read one as good as this, honestly.

For those who don't know, Good Omens is a collaborative work by Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman. Terry went on to write 34+ Discworld books, and Gaiman to write books such as Coralline and Stardust. But before this book one was a journalist, the other a report writer for an electric company; neither were after money with the book and neither saw it as ever being published but it happens and ~

Good Omens stars kids at the heart of it, yes, but it's actually a really good book. A lot of good questions are posed for what is essentially a parody, and it isn't being anti-religious nor pro-religious.

good-omens-2.jpg

I just finished reading this for the first time, having previously been a huge Discworld fan. I'm tempted to read it again, and definately want to read some of Gaiman's books now.

I think what struck me most was that it all took place in England - one scene, where it rains fish on "a mile North of Junction 10 of the M6" actually takes place like next to my house :x which I found pretty lolworthy.

But yeah, it's a good book, I heartily recommend it, and am wondering if anyone else has read it or wants to discuss it.

moxie

Sponsor

This is one of my all-time favorites. I'm moreso a fan of Terry Pratchett than Neil Gaiman, but it's obvious that the two of them working together = magic.

Crowley annoyed the hell out of me for some reason. I guess I always got the vibe that he was Gaiman's author-insert character.

Yeah there was something about him. I dunno. I liked Arizaphale though.

I thought the Queen joke was said too much. It would have been funnier if they'd waited at least two pages before repeating it :x

(The whole old cassettes become Best of Queen if left in a car for two weeks)

Yeah the version I've got is really recent and has discussions with the authors in and things. It was while Neil was still a journalist and Pratchett still working at the electricity board. "Terry has just written a nice little fantasy book called The Colour of Magic...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.