Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Gemini - RGSS/RGSS2 Script Editor

Gemini Script Editor
GeminiCP.png

Authors: ForeverZer0 and Zeus81
Version: 2.0.0
Type: RGSS/RGSS2 Script Editor

Introduction

Gemini, named after the Zodiac Twins (RMXP/RMVX)(and now VX Ace!), is a feature-rich script editor designed purposefully for the RPG Maker community.  It can directly read and write archived Scripts.r*data files, which allows you to use the power of an external IDE without the trouble of importing/exporting scripts to and from the built-in editor.  

Features

• Uses the popular SciLexer library for syntax highlighting
  • Custom color and font styles for parsing Ruby syntax
  • Auto-Complete function to help improve productivity, letting you choose default words, or create your own list
  • Auto-Indentation which follows standard Ruby conventions
  • "Script-Structuring" to apply proper format to your script with the click of a button
  • Batch comment/uncomment selected lines
  • Line highlighter with custom style as an added visual guide
  • Indentation guides for easily seeing the start/end of blocks
  • Brace-matching for tracking down the elusive missing parenthesis...
  • Powerful Find/Replace function, as well as incremental search
  • Tabbed-style editor for quickly switching between open scripts
  • Automatic updater built-in so you can make sure you have the latest version
  • Debug games directly from the editor, with choice to run normally or in DEBUG/TEST mode
  • Character map for using special Unicode character sets
  • Simple and intuitive interface
  • Portable, no-install application
  • Much more!

Screenshots

Screen1.png
Screen2.png
Screen3.png
Screen4.png

Download

Gemini.zip (12.84)
Direct

Gemini.exe (Self-Extracting archive)(12.54 MB)
Direct

Do to a lack of time to fix bugs, and for the benefit of others, I am open-sourcing Gemini, and I welcome anyone with knowledge of .NET to fix/add anything they wish, under the following conditions, which I respectfully ask be followed:

• Gemini is to remain non-commercial
  • Original credit is to be given, although feel free to add yourself for any changes that are made
  • Please notify me if you decide to host it anywhere other than where I already have

Gemini 1.1.6 - Source (17.8 MB)(Self-Extracting Archive)
Gemini 1.1.6 - Source (19.2 MB)(ZIP)
Gemini 2.0.0 - Source (22.0 MB)(Self-Extracting Archive)
Gemini 2.0.0 - Source (41.2 MB)(ZIP)

Older Versions
Gemini 1.1.6
Gemini 1.1.6 (Source)

Compatibility

Requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (Web Installer).

Credits and Thanks

• ForeverZer0 and Zeus81, for the application
  • Chaos-Project, for support and feedback
  • Javier "TDS" Cabrera, for testing

Author's Notes

As of version 2.0, there are as of yet no known bugs or issues. Please report any that you may find, thanks! ;)

playing with it a bit at work, its nice to be able to write code at work and it be highlighted correctly even if i cant run it til i get home. there is one thing i wanted to ask. how do you remove the [+] and [-] boxes? ive always hated how programing software has them. i find them very very distracting.

edit: also it would be amaizng if you had a option that removes all the blank lines.(im not fond of them while im working)

As for the "Run" function, it just executes Game.exe, so if it is not there, nothing will run, its just a script editor, not a game engine. If you are using it on a PC that doesn't have XP/VX installed, you will need to have the appropriate library in the same directory of the project like always.

I could probably make a quick option for enabling/disabling code folding, that wouldn't be hard, so look for it in an update in the near future. I can also easily make a whitespace remover, I had already been thinking about it would be a nice ability, too.

Well, it lists possible words you may be trying to type as you type them, then fills the rest of the word when characters such as the enter key, parenthesis, etc. are pressed. Start typing into a google search bar and you kinda see what it is.

For the editor, just go to the settings for it, and add words to the list. There are also large preset word groups already included for common ones.

Okay, that makes sense (aha d3rp. i knew that >.<)
And also what about the Word Groups? Not sure what they do either. . .

I must sound like such a noob XD
sorry!

Check the groups you want to add, for example "Ruby Constants", then press the "Add" button. You will see the list fill with all the constants that Ruby has defined by default. Pressing the remove button with "Ruby Constants" checked will remove all words in that group from the main list.

Ah, so it adds preset options?
Awesome.

One thing - When I press 'Run', I have the Game.exe in the game folder, and it still says it cant find it. Is it meant to be somewhere else too?
EDIT: I think its missing the .ini too - Mine says 'Unknown Title' in the title bar.

thank you so much, if you add those two things i would be so very very happy. about the run thing, that makes sense i didnt think about which project i opened. the one i opened was one that doesnt use game.exe but rather emulate_rpgmaker.exe lol my bad.

Okay, theres something wrong here.
It doesnt show my game name in the title bar.
It cant find Game.exe, even though its in the game folder.

I make a script in Gemini, save and close. I run the game and theres no changes.
So, i open up the project in RMXP (which wasnt running before) and still no changes have been made :\

I dont think its writing to the right place. . .

ya after putting a blank project with it. i still get error
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at (Object )
at ..(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Gemini
Assembly Version: 1.0.8.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.8.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/plague180/Desktop/Gemini/Gemini.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5447 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
{44486c65-008b-4a77-b924-082d17b2b322}
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.8.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/plague180/Desktop/Gemini/Gemini.exe
IronRuby
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/IronRuby/1.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/IronRuby.dll
Microsoft.Scripting
Win32 Version: 1.0.1.00
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/plague180/Desktop/Gemini/Microsoft.Scripting.DLL
Microsoft.Scripting.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/plague180/Desktop/Gemini/Microsoft.Scripting.Core.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Microsoft.Dynamic
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/plague180/Desktop/Gemini/Microsoft.Dynamic.DLL
IronRuby.Libraries
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/plague180/Desktop/Gemini/IronRuby.Libraries.DLL
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Ok, I found it. It was basically a loop-hole in my testing method I was using. When debugging, I have a project loaded automatically when the project starts up, which was helping disguise the bug. Its fixed with this update.

Updates to v.1.1.5
  • Added option to toggle code-folding ON/OFF under Settings menu item
  • Added Empty Line Remove function under Edit menu item
  • Added a "Sort" button in the Auto-Complete configuration for sorting all items alphabetically
  • Added an internal function to automatically remove any duplicate words in the auto-complete list
  • Embedded the RMXP and RMVX libraries into the application, and the option to copy them to the game's directory when creating new projects, which will allow projects to be run without having the RPG Maker installed on the system
  • Added the ability to have newly created projects be automatically loaded into the editor
  • Fixed bug that would prevent projects from being ran if they were opened a certain way

Awesome - i have my game title, and debug works :)

The only thing left is to jump to the line automatically. I know thats most likely hard to do, but that would make this application better than RMXP's script editor itself. :D (x 1000000)

you added the features i asked for, thank you!

edit: if you had a option to backup your game data every time you open the project (so basically you have a copy of your changes for everyday, that too would be amazing, but not required, im ok with just copy paste into my backup folder) also if you are feeling amazing(please keep in mind i already love your software just through request out there so i can develop faster :P) it would be awesome if removing folding would also remove the formatting lines, they are annoying while i type.

i would like to again point out im very happy, and thanks for adding those features

The formatting lines already have a toggle for turning ON/OFF. Either click the "Indent Guides" option under Settings, or click the little ruler in the toolbar to change them.

Thank you all for the kind words, and I am glad to hear it is being used. :D

Any progress on the symbol problems?
Its messing up my game, aha.
Until you find a fix, i'll have to hold-off using it.
Sorry :(

EDIT: Oh, and the auto-alignment spacing tree thing it does when you press enter after like an 'if' and stuff doesn't work as it does in RMXP. you may want to look into that :)

ANOTHER EDIT:
I've been following your progress on ARC, and i've had an idea
would it be possible to add another option under 'Export scripts as' called 'ARC'
so that you don't need to go through every script, make a new .txt, copy, paste, save, and rename it? it takes a long time to do all of this manually.
if you added it, that would be AMAZING

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.