Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Leo and Leah

[FULL] Leo & Leah: A Love Story RPG

Leotitless.png

Title: Leo & Leah: A Love Story

Playtime: About 7 - 10 Hours

Engine: RPG Maker 2003

-----------------

PLOT, CHARACTERS AND SOME WORDS FROM THE CREATOR:
Leo & Leah was started on a whim. It started just as a simple idea and it flourished into a project that I am very proud of. I’ve always toyed with simple ideas in RPG Maker games and tried to flesh them out with a different angle. The story for this title is that Leo’s girlfriend, Leah, gets captured by two imps and he must take chase after them. As more of the plot unfolds, a grey-haired villainness named Brandy comes into play, wielding a shotgun that she isn’t afraid to use. The chase ensues through many different environments, including an insect-infested forest, an underwater frog castle and a haunted pirate ship. Leo is joined by a mysterious beast named Daisy at the beginning of the game.

My main inspiration for this game came from the Donkey Kong and Mother series, as well as Super Mario RPG. Like the Flower Points in SMRPG, the party is granted a fixed number of “Survival Points” that Leo and Daisy must juggle throughout the battles in the game. The humour and quirkiness in this game is much derived from Earthbound and Conker’s Bad Fur Day, such as the fourth wall breakage and unexpected viciousness juxtaposed to bright and colourful graphics.

Leo himself acquires a number of skills throughout the game, not only to be used in-battle, but out of battle. Examples of such would be the Dash skill, which could be used to slam into enemies and get that much-needed “first attack” in the battle; a “Faded Smile” item which allows Leo to completely dodge any on-screen encounters; and “Green Fins”, which allows Leo to swim through Jellybomb-infested waters…

The game is about seven hours long. It was started on July 2010, and finished on February 2011.

-----------------

SCREENSHOTS!

Lo10.PNG

LL1.PNG

LL3.PNG

Laa1.PNG

LeoRhino.PNG

Lo2.PNG

LL2.PNG

----------------

What you can expect:
- Approximately 5 - 7 hours of gameplay.
- Entertaining characters (mostly animals) and colourful graphics, mostly edits of Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3.
- Wandering encounters that you can "dash" into!
- An awesome soundtrack!
- Lots of humour reminiscent of Earthbound and Super Mario RPG!
- A highly tweaked default battle system and skill system!
- A lot of mini-games!

-----------------

VIDEOS:

TRAILER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTSrID2XV0E

GAMEPLAY DEMONSTRATION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkd3ghrIiGE

CRAZE'S (creator of "Visions & Voices") ONGOING LET'S TRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUd7i8K96A

-----------------

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2324/

Just download and open and play! No need for RTP!

-----------------

CREDITS

Strangeluv - Main creator (story, mapping, events, etc.)
Ciel - Main beta-tester, story assistance.
Ocean, Liberty - Graphical assistance
Ciel, Ocean, Nessiah, Liberty, Ashes of Emeralds, Nightblade - Beta-testers

mawk

Sponsor

The minigames and little gameplay quirks were easily my favourite part of A Home Far Away, so I'm glad to see you've kept going with them. The little eventing tricks people use to make odd ideas work are what really make me love RM2k/3. Looking at the videos, though, I'm not sure the humour's really my style - I'm just not a huge fan of zany things, y'know? Still, it looks like you've put a lot into this project, and I'll get back to you once I've given it a try!

@Tomas: Thanks! I hope you enjoy it! :biggrin:

@mawk: I'm glad you had a good time with A Home Far Away! This game has loose ties AHFA, by the way. A few characters intersect in this, but it's nothing too major. The game has a lot of humour and "cutesiness" but, admittedly, it gets pretty dark from mid-way onward. Thanks for giving it a try! :girl:

Oh hey, this is really cool! I love that the main characters are actually original and not just cookie cut humans. Nice to see more 2k3 games too. I'll play this in a bit, it looks my kinda game.

The production quality is something out of the ordinary with what you usually see here. The visuals are very appealing and the world looks immersive and fun.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.