Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [FULL GAME] Walk It Off

Dead content awaiting restoration.

Kav

Sponsor

Walk It Off

Hi all. This is a little joke game I cooked up over the past month after getting tired of seeing those stupid restless legs syndrome commercials.

Synopsis:
Imagine one day you suddenly develop... Restless Legs Syndrome. One fateful day, Max Filesizes is stricken with this horrible affliction. As the player, you must guide Max to meet a sponsor to help find a treatment for RLS.

Gameplay:
If the RLS meter reaches 100%, you start moving automatically. This is a bad thing around cliffs. You can hit Enter to jump if it's at least 50% full. The fuller it is, the farther you jump, as long as it's below 100%. You have to time the jumps carefully.

There are 4 main areas. A mountain path, a mine, a haunted house and its catacombs, and a final race. There is also a secret minigame where you can play as a gump.

Downloads:
Version for those who have the RPG Maker XP RTP files
Version for those who don't have the RPG Maker XP RTP files

If you play as a character with RLS in the game... you may end up playing as a character with RLS for real.

The event scripting is pretty sloppy, but I hope you can at least get a laugh out of it. It might still have some bugs, so if you find any, please post them. Enjoy :gump:

mawk

Sponsor

Ninjitsu":1bxezsi3 said:
What's Gump mean?
Probably running all the time, or running very fast.

Yano... "Run, Forrest, run!"

Anyway, looks cool. zSHARE's giving me the roundabout, but I'll play it once I can hold it down long enough.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm blowing steam and it's that weird dog-turkey thing in the last screenshot.

mawk

Sponsor

Well, your mapping needs a lot of work (and your eventing could be improved in some places,) but you're obviously a skilled scripter. I suppose for a joke game, the standards are lower, though.

Anyway, I did notice a couple of glitches, mainly involving the jumping system. It's possible, for instance, to jump into a pool of water in the haunted house and get stuck forever. It's also possible to jump off the tracks and back in the mineshaft. I'm not sure how you'd fix this, since it's a built-in function of the RMXP Jump command, but for the time being it might be better to alter your maps so that people can't do that sort of thing. Suspended tracks or summat, yano?

Anyway, I thought it was pretty fun. Nice work with the scripting and such.

Your .rxproj file was in the decompressed game library, but I gotta thank you for that anyway; it taught me a couple things about eventing, and now I think I could figure out how to use the Hear Steps script -- I was looking for a scripted solution, but a common event or parallel event could work with terrain tags all the easier.

Amazing game, and great concept. Unfortunately I thought the mine area was poorly designed, or maybe it was just buggy. I eventually gave up on it.

I hated the game :x
mapping was horrible and the jumping in the mine part was shotty it would be a good game if the controls didnt act up on itself and the maps were good

yeah really, I played it, beat. And all I can say, is that it is freakin' addictive! I love it!
Took me a while to get through the mine area.

Kav

Sponsor

Response: I am well aware the mine area was difficult. I didn't want to make it TOO easy.
Clarification: RMXP was not built for this type of game, which is more of a platformer than an RPG.
Continuation: Using RGSS, it could perhaps have worked better.
Suggestion: You can always just open it up in RMXP and skip the mine area. The rest of the game is relatively easy.
Closing statement: I hope you all at least got a kick out of it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.