Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Front Page

Erk

We have a new front page. This is just a content management system, but honestly I am more impressed than I expected to be. Keep an eye on it, and feel free to give feedback. I hope that this will lend more validity to the ezine and RRRB and possibly other RMXP groups. It may or may not remain our front page forever... time will tell. At this stage, however, it seems quite possible that after some modification (particularly to reduce clutter!) we will stick with this system.

Yeah I just stumbled upon it by accident and it looks good but a bit cramped perhaps moving affiliates to the bottom or top would give more space for the new posts and threads thing but otherwise not bad.

I don't particularly like having two navbars... Maybe we should have that top RMXP.org header for all the .org pages (rWiki, main page, forums, profiles, etc) and put all the links on there, and get rid of or combine some of the less useful links (like put memberlist in quick links or something). Also, you should probably put a space between the word "HOME" and the home image (http://www.rmxp.org/forums/skin_images/ ... c/home.gif[/img]).

Tell you the truth... from a functional standpoint, it strikes me as excellent. From an aesthetic view, however... I was honestly confused when I first saw it; my eyes had a very hard time figuring out where to look or how to comprehend the layout.

Nevertheless, in terms of sheer functionality, it's fabulous!

It would take me some time to get used to the new front page, but it's pretty cool. I don't know if I can consider it organized, but then again it'll take me time. It's a nice update nevertheless. XD

I like it for its functionality. Perhaps the recent posts should be only topic titles so you can put it under or over the affiliates and give more room for the announcements, which are more important anyway. That'd make things look a little nicer too. Just a suggestion. :smile01:

Erk

My goal is to do some heavy visual revamps, basically rebuilding the template for parts of it from the ground up. However, pixel voodoo is really not meant to display this kind of data, so the first step is actually to build a new skin that is. We already have the design and idea behind it, I just need to set it up. In the meantime, check out how the same layout looks under Spivtastic to see what I mean: while still cluttered, it is a lot easier to read.

Further update: I have removed the nav bar from the front page, which I think cuts down on the clutter a bit. Next up I will reformat the "mini header" navigation strip that is in it already, to look more visible and not so matched with everything else (ie. by giving it a new graphic etc.)

Just found out: (using Firefox 2.0) Expanding/Collapsing the boxes often distorts the page. In the case of the affiliate box, the word "Affiliates" is moved to another line when the box is collapsed.

Erk

Check it out now. Many updates have, I hoped, made the page a little more functional and a little easier to look at in Pixel Voodoo.

At 800x600 resolution, it is completely whacked out. Of course, almost nobody uses 800x600, but it might be nice to have an alternate style or something for lower resolutions.

Erk

zalzer, statistical analysis shows that a grand total of 2 visits to our site in the last week have been at under 1024x768 resolution :-/

but how do you mean? It looks fine in my browser window, which is almost never greater than 8x6.

EDIT: Updates to the styling. The scrolly bars only appear on Homepage now, they do not appear on other subpages. If you want to see a good long list of latest blog entries, check out the Users page, which is now kinda functional since it doesn't have scrolly bars. I may add a few links to discussion topics there too, we'll see how it works out. First I am going to try to improve the code for sponsor blogs.

You guys, I am actually learning to do honest-to-goodness programmings. Maybe if I wish hard enough I can become a real admin!

I think it needs a big picture of me on there, just to warn people what to expect when entering this site.
I like the layout of all the windows, I think there should be a window that displays a random user's avatar and it links to their profile page, just to promote the amazingness of the members here, like bebo has with their "Beboers", except not as stupid as bebo.

Show me your evidence for that claim.
It would make us members feel more like part of the site, without us there would be no community, so why don't get the face of the community on the front page.
What would make it as bad as bebo's would be having a whole tile of people's avatars.
Just one randomly generated avatar in a window, with the user name underneath would look good.
(Like the downloads window, now everyone can see my upload count! Everything in the affiliate column looks like: [AD] to me :()

Erk;161933 said:
You guys, I am actually learning to do honest-to-goodness programmings. Maybe if I wish hard enough I can become a real admin!

Haha, go Erk, go! Just don't lie, that tends to make people's noses longer, or so I've heard...

Erk

Well, to be fair, I can easily limit the random profile to only show users with more than say, 25 posts. In fact, I think that would be easier than limiting it to show only subscribers and sponsors. But the latter is what I am going to do.

Felixio, if you go to the users page you will see a random list of users more or less as you have described.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.