Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Freesat!

So I don't know what TV is like in America, but basically for like 20 years we've had:

TERRESTRIAL
BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel4, Five (since 97)

And then either Sky (Sattelite), or Cable Digital which has gone through hundreds of owners over the years and different forms etc (NTL, Telewest, Virgin Media; now all together as Virgin Media).

AND THEN CAME THE DIGITAL AGE.

Freeview is our free digital service which is replacing terrestrial. Around 70 channels, most of them advertising or news or religion, probably around 15 useful channels.

AND THEN CAME FREE SATTELITE.

A sattelite receiver that uses a standard Sky sattelite but gets free channels. Around 160 channels, most of them shit, again, probably like 30 useful ones. Different channels to Freeview however.

AND THEN CAME SKY+

Sky released a box which can pause, rewind, record, live TV onto a hard drive.

AND THEN CAME FREEVIEW+, FREESAT+

Basically they jumped on the bandwagon and made boxes that do the same thing... but for free.

I had Sky for a year or two back in the days before Sky+, after having just terrestrial for like 10 years. We moved to Telewest, which was utter shit, which then became NTL:Telewest through a merger, and was still shit. Then that became Virgin Media, which was absolutely shit.

So we moved to freeview for a while, with a Freeview+ box. We were so impressed that we... moved back to Sky and got a Sky+ box.

Now after a year of that we've discovered Freesat, and come to the revelation that we can easily combine Freesat and Freeview to get all the channels we would have got with Sky. We lose a few - Sky One, etc, but they're awful channels nowadays to be honest, all you get are repeats with a few runs of new American content like Lost, etc. But, in my opinion, since Lost and Stargate and Buffy and Angel there... hasn't been anything worthwhile on Sky One. I haven't watched the channel since moving to Sky again!

Well, basically now we have this set up:

- 40'' HD TV
- Built in Freeview tuner (70 channels)
- Freesat+ HD box (160 channels, a few HD, a few shared with Freeview)
- 500 GB hard drive on the Freesat+ box
- 2 TB hard drive connected via USB

And that's the fantastic part: USB connections.

Unlike Sky+, with the Freesat+ HD box we can connect additional media via USB. So we've ordered a 2 TB external hard drive.

It gets better. If we ever fill out now 2.5 TB of space, (which we won't as Sky+ only had 250 GB to begin with) we can buy a USB hub and then connect 10 TB of hard drives to it.

And all this would cost less than Sky+

We're saving £20 a month by having Freesat instead of Sky. (We were on the basic package on Sky)

My Dad, instead of buying insurance on the Sky+ box, saved that amount per month in the bank. Eventually he had £250 saved up, so we left sky and that covered the cost of the Freesat+ box (so it was basically free).

It's £62 for a 2 TB external hard drive.

Basically what I'm saying is British TV is currently quite good, and now that we've got a Freeview and Freesat box, the whole thing is going to cost absolutely nothing (bar the cost of the TV license which is something we'd have to pay anyway).

And podcasts, downloaded movies, and music can all be transfered onto the box via FTP.

Oh, that's not all, we also get iPlayer and ITV Player. :D I mean we already got iPlayer through the Wii, but the resolution was shit and some programs didn't get added due to copyrighted music (i.e. Top Gear). Now we have HD iPlayer with the full library.

Basically it's awesome.

So, what is TV like in your country? Do you have a, uh, TiVo box or whatever? What's your setup?

We're going to spend the £20 a month we save on DVD boxsets for anything we happen to miss on Sky One... but it's unlikely. Hasn't been anything good from America in a while, on Sky One at least. (Desperate Housewives and other shows have finished now anyway but they weren't on Sky One).

(bar the cost of the TV license which is something we'd have to pay anyway)

i never understood the TV LICENSE THING it just doesn't make any sense. TV isn't like some kind of DANVGEROUS DEVICE you need an OPERATING LICENSE FOR.

do you need to like go down to your local DMV and stand in long lines and then take a test: WHICH BUTTON ON THE REMOTE MUTES YOUR TELEVISION SET. oh ! i know!!! it's A. multiple choice A. wrong. that was the power button. you cant get a tv license try again in 6 months and enjoy listening to little orphan annie on your radio.

I'm impressed with this so far.

Apparently there are over 500 free sattelite channels broadcasting this way and I can tune into them... unfortunately if I do that I can't access the Freesat channels. So I can watch them, but only when I'm not recording something off Freesat. Meh.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.