Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

-Fractus Stellarum-

Injury

Awesome Bro

Pushing out new maps, working on older ones as well as developing the storyline for this.

As I have officially entered this into the contest, I'm going to be shooting for a one hour demo. In editing, one hour is comprised of many individual shots, so this will take some time, but I'm certain it will be enjoyable.

I'm also working on porting it to the source engine in the future.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Updates:

-Finishing up the new maps
-Working on the resource system (might or might not make it)
-New music. Creepier than ever!

Injury

Awesome Bro

Updates:

-Complete re-work of the soundtrack in progress!
-Almost finished with Part II
-Initial paperwork for Part III in progress. Ideas are flowing
-Scratching resource system in favor of a simpler exchange service
-Re-worked dialog system for something more cinematic and creep-tastic
-Fixed minor bugs

EDIT:
-I have the ending in mind. I have some stuff fleshed out.
-Part III mapping is in progress. It's expansive and has more resource puzzles as well as some other stuff

I might post an updated demo tomorrow...

Injury

Awesome Bro

Posted a new screenshot of the opening scene...

I added black bars for dramatic effect. Most dialog is done with this, as well as a patch that applies 4 lines of text instead...Hope you like it!

Injury

Awesome Bro

Missing updates from your lovely Injury?! I am too!

I have been working on a simple system for a puzzle and more music. I'll probably keep what is done for now, no demo for you!

I will see if I can pump something out for sunday, or monday.

Fuck V Day

Injury

Awesome Bro

I'm about done working on this. I'm going to be going through bug testing and whatnot from here forward. I'm kinda tired of working on it without any support so I'm going to polish this shit bird and get it ready for it's big date with destiny.

If you are interested in testing it out for me, helping me resolve bugs, issues, continuity/graphical issues, let me know. I could use the help.

I'm way behind on playing the updated demo, but I did play it today and I have a couple of points (which I apologize if you've since fixed!).

1. What Glitchfinder pointed out about the menu options was something I experienced as well (waiting for the cutscene to transition, not knowing that there was a button press). I think I saw something somewhere that you fixed it, but I'll still post it because it's in the most recent demo you posted.

2. It was too dark. I got stuck on objects around the map because I couldn't really see what was directly around me. I dunno how the darkness script is configured, but you could try lightening the screens and maybe adding a layer of smoke (kind of like what Glitchfinder was talking about with layers of fog) or make light sources brighter. Again, I'm not sure if you've tinkered with this yet or not, but it was something I found a little offputting. During the battle I selected wait and couldn't see the directional choices, so I just sat there for a little while, not knowing what I was supposed to do. :X

Also, your thread might benefit from the background tag (link) to make it darker.

I would offer to help test, but I rarely have time to get online and I'm still trying to work on stuff for my contest entry, so I'm afraid I wouldn't provide feedback in a timely manner.

Injury

Awesome Bro

@Star- I did work on the context stuff. I haven't posted a recent demo. I will be posting one soon after my first run through of bugs and whatnot. It might be good that you got stuck on things because it was so dark. I was thinking of a layer of smoke, but the reality is a space station would have a filtration system that wouldn't really allow for that. If there was smoke, there would be fire, and as this space station is assumed to run on oxygen, the entire station would have blown up because of pure oxygen igniting.

If I play through and it does become apparent that it is too dark, I will brighten things up a bit.

Thank you!

EDIT:

Finished running through and fixing things up. Uploading final demo now. I hope you enjoy it. If there was enough interest, there would be a part 2, taking place prior to the events of the ending, and briefly after the first part's ending.

Please offer your feedback and let me know what you think. I have tried my best to make something that I think is enjoyable.

Thank you!

Bugs:
Letterbox present in battles. Obscures the command menu.
In the second battle the command window and cursor didn't appear. Just the words. I had to fight blind.
Can't open menu? I got body armor - can't equip it. Didn't need it though.

Peeves:
Tint is too dark. You can't tell what you are looking at. A couch just looks like a black square. I didn't see the alien at the end until the screen started to white out. Because of the low contrast all I saw was a green circle that looked like the rest of the station's displays.
Slow walk speed. Where's the sense of urgency? To get the unlock code, I think you can guess the digits in less time than it would take to get the find the room with the hint and walk back.
Save point disappears after one use?

Between inching toward the enemies in battles and slowly walking through long empty rooms it felt like you had to do a lot for very little. The characters could have more to say. You don't really know what they are thinking except for "I'm worried about a girl" "lets head to HQ" "find the Doctor". Needs more characterization. They are too brief.

Possible continuity error. The lift was locked until you restored power to it. You took the same lift to Sector 7 and found out everyone has already evacuated. When? How? Where to?
Oh, and since they were stuck on the storage level. Who would have taken the weapons? That could be something they were investigating on their patrol before the were boarded. I mean, you could answer it with a simple explanation but you'd be missing a chance to expand the story a little.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Updates:
-Thanks to coyote for the new tinted tileset. Looks a lot better.
-Auto equipped the body armor when you get it

Answers:
-Also: The door to the lift was broken, not the lift itself.
-No menu access. No point really.
-Save points work once. This game is so short, there isn't much reason to save over and over again.
-Slow walk speed: It's dark! I was going to add a sprint system, which seems the right thing to do.

I'm also going to rework the dialog. I was paying more attention to getting the maps and storyline fleshed out. Their dialog is pretty dry. It will expand on everything, including how sec7 was evacuated prior to your arrival.

Would the puzzle be more challenging with more digits, randomization, multi-factor authentication?

Thanks again coyote! It looks great!

Injury

Awesome Bro

UP DERPS

-Updated demo with coyotecraft's beautiful updated graphics.
-Added some more NPCs, spruced up some dialog...Still needs work, but I'm trying to think about what else could add in terms of awesomeness...

At this point, as I've asked and said before, I'm really looking for people to test out this game. I'm more than happy to test other contest entrants games in exchange for the same thing. I want to get the games technical issues out of the way. I'm not worried about the story. Please let me know if you are interested, or have already made some progress.

Submission of a tech report should follow:

-Title of Bug (In you opinion)
--What map it happened on
--Type of Issue (Graphics Issue/Script Issue/Event Issue/Misc)
---Brief description of what you encountered
----Suggested fix/workarounds

Place this in a PM, or just reply here, whatever you want. I hope everyone picks up and follows this format, or something similar so we can all be on the same page, as we get closer to the deadline.

As always, thank you.

PS-I'm starting to work on porting this to the source engine. Wish me luck!

Injury

Awesome Bro

Update!

25 Feb 14:
Hey everyone! I would just like to say thank you for all your support throughout the months I worked on this little thing. I really hope you enjoy it, and check out the other entrants! Showing your support for the community means a lot more to me than winning this contest. For years, we have been hanging out and working on our own projects. This is the first contest I've entered, and I'm just happy to participate!

Injury

Awesome Bro

Updates:

-Entered as a potential Game of the Year for HBG!

Thank you very much for this! I want to put more into this game, but I have little time after work without being exhausted.

If you have any ideas or want to help, let me know!

Thank you again :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.