Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Four Map Layers?

My student, Matt, is having some difficulty making his maps. I have no problem with maps myself, but I'm not always there to help him. Anyway, he wants to know if there is a way to create more layers for map creation. I don't know if it'd require a script or not, but chances are it does, so any help is appreciated.

Rye

There are already 4 Map layers, just one happens to be an event layer. I'm sure you could use that to your heart's content to make another layer. In any case, if there really isn't a way, you could always try Near's Game thingy--supposedly I heard you can have a lot of map layers.

You can use Events to create a pseudo-fourth layer. Lay down an event and change the graphic to a tile out of your tileset. Events have the highest priority, and will appear on top of all other layers. If you get creative with the first three layers, you should very rarely need a fourth layer, so you won't need to chew through events, either.

If you need an overhead layer, the above suggestions work just fine. But if you need a layer with options like in the database (passability, direction,ect.), you should do it with a script. You can do it without a script like a lot of people did with rm2k3 but it would require a lot of events to fake the tilesets properties.

Yes but if you want a fourth or fifth layer above the third layer, you won't be able to do this with events (I strongly think so). You really should try to ask the map layer script in the lost script. It's exactly what you are asking for.

1) Cut the student crap. We have no problem with helping you, especially given you seem to be an intelligent kid not coming in saying "M8K A FF CBS PLZ!", but pretending to be a teacher is just pissing everyone off, and I expect our next thread for support will be ignored if you keep up the student/teacher act.

2) There was a script called "Map Layers" made about 6 months ago. Check the script listings for it. Or even better get your "student" to do it. Especially given he's at a school thats stupid enough to be doing "education with RMXP"....

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.