Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Forum Switch Preview

iCheeze, you seem confused. Erk and Ccoa have left the forum and have no plans of returning as management/administrators (though we would certainly welcome them to contribute). TREG is management.

I don't understand where you are getting the idea that he isnt.

Kojo

I personally prefer the default skin we have now to what I'm seeing, I would want it to have an option to at least have a skin like this one.. If at all possible..

There is a spoiler mod for SMF somewhere on the SMF site. Not sure if it works for 1.1.4 or whatever the newer version is though.

SSI can make a tasty site though. :p

Dyegov

Well, I have just joined this site, but I have to say moving to SMF is the best step you can take. I hope everything goes alright :)

I cant stand SMF, I used it for over a year and got so annoyed. I prefer MyBB these days, for free forums anyway. You can't beat vBulletin overall.

One of the weak points of SMF is the modding system. It directly edits files instead of using hooks which can be a pain in the arse. There aren't too many either, and the ones there have computability issues or are just badly coded.

For free forums anyway, can't beat vBulletin overall.

vBulletin isn't free, champ. It's one of the reasons we're switching.

One of the weak points of SMF is the modding system. It directly edits files instead of using hooks which can be a pain in the arse. There aren't too many either, and the ones there have computability issues or are just badly coded.

We don't need many (or any) additional mods to the forums, as we're going to have a custom-coded main website. RMXP.org has the potential to be something much more than just a forum--potential that previous site owners and administrators overlooked-- and we're going to be taking that step up.

Sles

Hey that's good to hear. I've always wanted a real website based around rmxp, kinda like what some other engines have. I really can't wait now.

Solid Bro;324719 said:
vBulletin isn't free, champ. It's one of the reasons we're switching.
I know, I suppose I meant 'I prefer MyBB these days, for free forums anyway. You can't beat vBulletin overall.' Fixed.

Just read you can't keep the license, that'd explain things. ^_^
Solid Bro;324719 said:
We don't need many (or any) additional mods to the forums, as we're going to have a custom-coded main website. RMXP.org has the potential to be something much more than just a forum--potential that previous site owners and administrators overlooked-- and we're going to be taking that step up.
If you build it heavily into the forum, editing the core code a lot, good luck upgrading is all I can say. :D I've added features into my SMF forum before and I thought they way they do things is slightly weird and quite lacking in certain places (template system). But I suppose all the file edits instead of having it all stored in a database is less resource intensive.

Sounds exciting, though. :)

In the past couple of weeks I have worked a lot with the SMF and its templating system, and I've actually grown to like it a bit. I'm incredibly confident in in my understanding of its workings and have high hopes for the future of RMXP on SMF. You're right in that it took some getting used to, but for hardcore skinning at least, after I figured it out it was really nice.

I guess it certainly helps having all the code in one page rather than having to edit 25 different templates in the admincp. :D Yay, for syntax highlighting too.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.