Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Fixed Picture Position?

Anyone know of a script out there that brings back one of the most useful features that was removed in rpgmaker xp, the ability to place pictures in fixed positions, so that it doesn't always have to follow the hero? I've been looking but can't seem to find one out there. Thank you!

Pictures are positioned on the screen (window), as opposed to the map. That's why they appear to follow the player.

You could add the image to your tileset, and apply a priority of 5 to show it always above the character. (like the top of a tree)

You could make a character set out of your image, and place it on the map as an event.
You would need to edit the image & make the canvas (background) 4x wider & 4x taller.

You could also use a fog graphic, with 0 movement. You would also have to edit the image as the fog starts at 0,0 on the map,
to place the picture where you want it, and also make it large enough so it doesn't tile (repeat).

Can you give us an example of what you want to do with this feature?  That would help to choose the best solution.

Be Well

Wish my gfx artist was around, as he would be able to explain what he is looking for ten times better, but i'll explain it the best i can. Since pictures are positioned on screen by window, that means that no matter how big you make a picture, that it will always be moving based on the characters x and y position on the map. Let me try and give a really good example of where a fixed positioned picture would come in handy vs making it a character set, a tileset or a fog layer.

The most useful feature that pictures have vs fog layers, tilesets, charactersets, and anything else of that nature is the power to animate through multiple pictures without a given size limit, and also the power to make the image transparent or something along those lines. Character sets and tilsets have no where near the flexibility as a picture does. Fog layers are the closest thing that comes to a picture, but i'm already using the fog layer for lighting.

I guess what i'm asking is, is it in anyway possible to position a picture on the map instead of the screen window? Rpgmaker 2k3 had the ability to show pictures anywhere on the map, even if you weren't anywhere near it's coordinates if i remember correctly.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.