Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Final Fantasy 16

Just announced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6PtdY0i7M

Summons are called "Icons". We see Titan and Shiva. Story seems to revolve around Phoenix and Ifrit, who also compose the logo.
Ifrit absorbs fire and Phoenix is reborn in it. They're fighting, but it wouldn't seem one would ever be able to destroy the other. The trailer closes with the like "I will kill you"
There's also some business about the legacy of the crystals. I don't know if FF16 will also fall under the "Fabula Nova Crystallis" mythos that 13 and Type-0 followed. Where the crystals are sentient and controlling civilization.
Just a guess, but if they're called "Icons" that probably implies Iconoclasm.

Edit: It's being developed by the same team/division whatever that made FFXIV Online, but say it'll be a single player RPG.
Timed-exclusive for the ps5

Jason

Awesome Bro

Eikons* like in Final Fantasy XIV. Also they have the combat director from Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma, so that should be fun for sure... love how they've returned to (dark) high fantasy too. Really excited for this, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't get giddy during the reveal yesterday, lol.

I don't know. Honestly, I saw that trailer and just thought the game looked kind of generic. I mean, it's not like I can do any better, but I just have high expectations for Final Fantasy. I'm not sure I can put my finger on what exactly didn't feel right about it. I think generic is the closest I can get for now... like they took a good white-label Asian art studio, had them create some assets, and then they added some summons and chocobos to make it feel more Final Fantasy.

I think I expected more outlandish armor like the judges from FFXII, and big floating crystals, and oddly cut asymmetric slim-fit clothing.

I just watched it again. The dragoon armor was good. I wanted to see more stuff like that. The castle scenes lacked detail and they looked like generic dark fantasy castles. I expected FF castles and towns to be more busy and colorful, and more, well, fantastic. The blood splash on the kid's face felt really dark for Final Fantasy. Have they done anything like that before? I always thought that Final Fantasy's combat felt more clean and bloodless. The combat didn't have a HUD. I would expect a HUD or some kind of UI in a Final Fantasy game. I want to see damage numbers pop up and HP bars slide down. And I just expected more sparkle. And the combat scenes looked really monochromatic. I heard someone say it's like Square Enix tried to recreate the Witcher, and I guess I can see that now.

I don't know where people are getting it from, but some are saying it's not going to be a party based jrpg. Like FF16 is going to be the Zelda 2 of the series and throw the brand identity out the window and do something completely different.

I've never played XIV. And it never seems to come up in Final Fantasy discussions.

It's been a few years and FF16's is right around the corner. I'm hyping myself up for it.
On one hand, I'm really proud they're doing something different with the narrative. Multiple Time skips. Where the main character goes from teen, twenties, and then thirty over the course of the story. It's one of those ideas I'd try to bringing up in rm game design discussion, and now I get to see it.
I know that's more or a narrative quirk, but I'm interested how character progression will work with respect to it. Like, are they ditching levels again?

I'm feeling good that I'll totally be playing it on release. It's coming out on my birthday. That's the universe telling me it was MADE for me. Right? This is going to be my all time favorite Final Fantasy game, right?

Also, what's with the Mature ratings all around?
lmm320ubju4a1.jpg

Seems like everything square is pumping out lately has an M rating. Stranger of Paradise. Forespoken.
I mean, SoP just had red fluid that could be interpreted as blood. And the "violence" isn't exactly realistic, with monsters exploding into red crystal.
I played the Forespoken demo and it sounds like it's just rated-m for the character's frequent use of "fuck."

The internet is spoiling this for me. But I'm not mad. It's just confirming my predictions. I want this to be my new favorite that I'll play again and again.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.