Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

FFX like Equipment / Stat system

Okey, I liked very much the equipment system of Final Fantasy X. I am requesting similiar system, it may be time consuming, but maybe there are other people around interested in same system.

I got this idea when trying out FFX battle algorithms script, found in:
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3862

Lets get started, first about stats:

FFX CBA calculates physical damage using Strenght and Defense stats only. Actors have strenght already, but not skill like defense. They can only get physical defense from armors, but that would be impossible because of equipment system, you will see it later. Same with magic damage, there are stats called "Magic" and "Magic Defense". So we should add "Defense" and "Magic Defense" stats to actors.

That was most important about stats, let's get to equipment:

Actors are wearing only one weapon and one armor. Weapon will have slots from 1 to 4. Each slot will add percentage to actors stats or add other bonuses, here is few examples:

Slot 1: Strenght + 10%
Slot 2: Strenght + 15%
Slot 3: Water Strike ( will add water element to attack)
Slot 4: Darkness touch ( may cause Darkness -status to enemy when hit)

And weapons won't have attack power, because we are using only strenght and defense when calculating physical damage.

Same goes with armors, they will have 1-4 slots. They normally adds defensive stats and protection from certain states, adds auto states. Example:

Slot 1: HP + 10%
Slot 2: Darkness ward (will add resistance to darkness element)
Slot 3: Auto-Haste (Actor will have always Haste -status and it is unremovable)
Slot 4: SOS-Protect (Actor will get Protect -state when his hp is critical. If I remember correctly, critical in FFX means under 25% of max hp.

Another example:

Slot 1: Magic Defense + 10%
Slot 2: Fire Eater (will absorb fire damage)
Slot 3: Darkness proof (Immune to darkness)
Slot 4: Water ward (takes 50% damage from water-element attacks)

In my examples all equipments have 4 slots, but for real they will have 1-4 slots. Here is example of weapon:

Slot 1: Magic + 10%
Slot 2: Empty
Slot 3: Empty

Right, they are empty? Well, this is when customising / creating own equipment comes in. When customising, player may add his own states or stats etc. to equipment. Adding stats are possible only if there are "Empty" slots in the equipment. Removing existing stat bonuses are impossible.

Lets customise then. We have weapon with:

Slot 1: Strenght +20%
Slot 2: Empty
Slot 3: Empty

Weapons name is, let's say "Adamantine Sword". We will use 20x Ice Gem (items) to add "Ice Strike" ability to sword. Then we will use 10x Echo Screens (yet items) to add "Silence touch" ability to the weapon.

Slot 1: Strenght +20%
Slot 2: Ice Strike
Slot 3: Silence Touch

Now when weapon's all 3 slots are full, its name will change to "Bomb Slayer".

Okey, I will have break now. It will help a lot if you have played Final Fantasy X yourself, but I tried to explain everything important to make you familiar with the system in case you haven't. I can draw pictures or anything if it makes things easier. But I guess it's not about understanding, this will take lot of time.

I hope there is a pro scripter around, who wants to take the challenge. I am ready to help any way I can. I can't script, but if there is something else I can help with (I am pretty familiar with photoshop for example, if you need custom graphics I'll handle that).

The system could also be compiled with other scripts. For example, Tricksters "Bag of Skill Effects" script would add useful stuff. Script should be able to do without touching Scene_Battle etc., but if it's not possible, I hope it would be compliant with RTAB.

Good luck, its fine if this is something too big to deal with. Thanks anyway if you even spent your time reading this request.

Well, wasn't surprise, maybe this was too complicated request. I have learnt little scripting myself past few weeks and have thought about trying to create something like this. At least I can give it a try. I'll bumb this one more time, if there yet exists a more experienced scripter that would like to try this.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.