Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Fairly Simple Common Event-Menu Script

Alright, so I'm sure many people are looking for this - a script that allows you to have an adventure log (enemies, character profiles, storyline, much like in Kingdom Hearts). However - I figured a way to make it much more simple for the scripter would be this: Create a script that allows the user to choose a numbered Common Event and integrate it as a selection on the menu. For example, say the script allows you to name the extra selection 'Log'. You choose the selection on the Ingame Menu and it initializes a Common Event that takes care of the rest.

I don't know how easy or difficult this is (sounds fairly simple...) but I am not a scripter. Far from it. If there's a simple way to do this ingame, feel free to notify me. If you're up to the task - go for it. It would be much appreciated. ;)

You could just try making a menu using common events with that feature, but im not sure how reliable common event menus are. I could try to help you make a common event menu if you'd like, but im not really sure if i could make one.

Not sure what you mean by common-event menu... but if it can be done, I'd appreciate anything that's possible.

I figured there would be a simple way to add a selection to the Menu in Scene_Menu that calls up a common event... I just don't know what it would be.

By common event, I mean you don't use a script for the menu, instead, you use a common event. Theres only 1 problem with it, you can show every single stat, but you cant show your characters names in the menu. so if you want names (unless your planning on having a game where you cant change the name). And this will be pretty difficalt to do. I've been making the picture design of one (what the menu will be considered as), after that, I'll work on making the actual common event menu if you want.

You cannot change the character names in my game.

And that's what I'm talking about - all I need is the script to link a command in the menu to a specified common event. Rather than recreate the entire menu in a common event, I'm looking to just add a command that will direct the game engine directly into running a common event that will take care of the rest of whatever you want it to do.

Hey, actually, I think i might of figured out how to call this from then menu script. Although, seeing how im not the best at scripts, youll have to take out an option on the menu for me to do this, also, are you using the regular script? and, I think, not sure though, im not really sure how you would go back to the menu after using it. But send me the menu script (unless your using the original) and ill see what i can do, ok? I can't promise ill be able to do it seeing how ive got a small amount of scripting ability, but I can try.

Edit: Im going to try to make it, but It wont have the status menu, and if your using a different menu, you can probably just copy and paste the part of the script that im gonna try to change.

Edit2: I found a way to do it, but it doesn't call the common event until you exit them menu. Im working on making it work, so yeah. Ill also try to include a common event for you that way you don't really have to do any work.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.