Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift for $2bn

Wow. Really?
Shit, didn't see that happening at all.

I was about to pre-order DK2 as well

EDIT: This killed the tech-world's VR boner.

Jason

Awesome Bro

notch-tweet-minecraft1.jpg

Love how Notch has pulled out... saying Minecraft WAS going to support Oculus Rift, but now Facebook have bought it, he's like NOPE.

... Would've been pretty cool to play it to be honest, but oh well, Candy Crush Saga will have to do...

Oh yeah... an article from Forbes if you want to read it:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/ ... s-him-out/

I know this sounds like whiny bitch, but while this probably doesn't effect the goals of Oculus at all, it's really knocked everyone's faith in them for some reason, myself included and frankly I don't even know why.

The only thing that will get me interested in VR again would be if Valve do something.

I think I identified why this bugs me; Oculus and Valve are companies that value research over making a quick-buck, Facebook tends to rush their experiments out the door with no audience testing (FB Home) and expects people to just like it (See my pun?), with Oculus under Facebook, sure they might be continuing with research towards a fantastic first-product, but now they have a massive shadow over them which I'm scared will encourage them to try and ship early, I'm worried they will become the ones who ruin VR and not the other companies that everyone expected would.

And John Carmack working for a company owned by Facebook? Gives me the chills.

EDIT: Notch's full statement pretty much says everything that we all seem to feel for some reason.

Nachos

Sponsor

The only thing that will get me interested in VR again would be if Valve do something.

The thing is, Valve was doing something. And that something was helping Oculus finish the hardware.

Valve gave oculus the solution to the dizziness that the users were experimenting for free.

Nachos":2ggweuuw said:
The thing is, Valve was doing something. And that something was helping Oculus finish the hardware.

Valve gave oculus the solution to the dizziness that the users were experimenting for free.
I know, Abrash has pretty much dedicated his time to solving problems with VR and making their solutions public (I didn't just pick Valve randomly, that would have been weird "I'll only be interested in VR if Zenimax decided to enter the market"), I mean if Valve announce their own hardware, they have in-house built devices (That are massively expensive so not for consumer release) but if they thought "We can deliver something better than Oculus" and go ahead and do that then I'll be straight back into VR.

Right now I'm going to wait for the Oculus CV1 release before judging if VR is something I want to get back into.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Xilef":jengwvmd said:
Nachos":jengwvmd said:

I know, Abrash has pretty much dedicated his time to solving problems with VR and making their solutions public (I didn't just pick Valve randomly, that would have been weird "I'll only be interested in VR if Zenimax decided to enter the market"), I mean if Valve announce their own hardware, they have in-house built devices (That are massively expensive so not for consumer release) but if they thought "We can deliver something better than Oculus" and go ahead and do that then I'll be straight back into VR.

Right now I'm going to wait for the Oculus CV1 release before judging if VR is something I want to get back into.

I'm pretty sure I read that when Valve started firing people, a small team was formed based around their old VR team and they are working on their own VR headset.

...but I also wonder if they are in too deep with OR that they won't stop supporting it as Steam has VR support on some levels now.

I think it was a great move financially, but a bad move this early in the game.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.