Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Exloring the Unknown: TK Module

I don't see why it wouldn't work at RMXP; at least, RGSS is Ruby, isn't it? I used a Ruby class in my script to obtain all files in a directory. Time class is not in RGSS help file, but we use it to obtain current time. But maybe it requires some tricks to work well.

I wish I had your book, I always want to learn how to use TK module in Ruby...

No, it doesn't work in RMXP requiring the TK module will give you a "Game.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" thing

Also you may not require .so files with RMXP it will not let you because it uses an edited version of the require definition

@Exsharean - You can use all of the Built-In classes/modules of the ruby library even though a good number of them are not mentioned in the help file, for instance, the Thread class is not mentioned. Then there is the standard library which has more ruby classes/modules but you can only require the ones written in pure ruby some of the very useful ones are: Benchmark - time how fast your code runs on your machine, Base64 encode and decode in Base 64, Zlib - read and write compressed files. I could go on all day but I will let you find these out for yourself

Also if you want to know more ruby then go here http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ and if you haven't install the latest version of Ruby (I think 1.8.6 is the latest) that will automatically give you all of the other classes included with Ruby

Oh, I didn't try it, so I just thought it would work. As for I know, the TK module isn't installed with latest Ruby release (1.8.6), so when I tried any examples of the above, it didn't work. But thanks for the information.

I also never used require in RGSS...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.